Everyone seems to need some guidance regarding the experiences section of the AMCAS application.  The thread below is from a highly regarded medical school admissions dean and so I would follow her advice!  Hope this helps.  Mrs. Wood-Hill

“This is a very difficult question and everyone who has chimed in has

>basically said something that is true.”

>The section started as an expanded version of the "old" AMCAS

>application (pre-2002), so that medical schools could gauge the depth

>and extent of applicants' involvement in extra-curriculars, community

>service, research, etc, with space to "clarify" that involvement.

>You will find that medical schools differ in their opinions of what

>they want to see there. Some will want conciseness (myself included)

>and some will want that "personal" touch. However, I don't believe it

>was ever intended to be a mini-essay (which, by the way is dangerous

>because those mini-essays normally are not at the high standard of the

>highly edited personal statement).

> From my experience, I can tell you that when you have to read

>thousands of applications, the more concise the information  provided,

>the better for me. It doesn't mean it has to be just  factual -- but it

>should be to the point and without unnecessary  embellishments.

If I may, I will rewrite the two paragraphs to possibly clarify my

>points (and I know many people will disagree with my take on this).

>Give only the information that is not available anywhere else and

>touch, in a few words, on the importance of the activity.

> Description #1 (as written by student)

The Revision of the above (as written by medical school dean):

>#1 Being a member of the Track & Field team was an unforgettable experience.

>This commitment entailed 3-hour daily practices, 10 hours/week spent at

>the library, and away games nearly every weekend.

>Though I participated only two semesters because of an injury, I

>learned a lot about teamwork, leadership, time management,

>self-discipline, and self-realization.

Description #2(as written by the student)

> The Revision of the above(as written by medical school dean):

>#2 This scholarship allows me to continue the research I have been

>conducting the past two semesters. My project involves the coordination

>of inorganic metal material with organic frameworks in the formation of

>micro porous materials.

>The research project will continue until graduation. It's results might

>play a role in goals set by the DOE regarding hydrogen storage systems.

Office Hours for Summer 2009
M-Th 10-12:30,  M and Th 2-4:30 and Wed 2-4--I am out of the office every Friday in the summer.

Please see our website http://ww5.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/prehealth/postba for further information.  We would be happy to answer other questions via email if you cannot find the information you need as I am unable to see students who are not enrolled at Hunter.

L.Wood-Hill
Director, Prehealth Professions Advising Programs
Hunter College of CUNY
695 Park Ave, E812
NY, NY 10065
212-772-5121
FAX: 212-772-5138
http://studentservices.hunter.cuny.edu/prehealth.htm

Join the premedinfo-L listserv!

http://hunter.listserv.cuny.edu

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".