Send resume and cover letter to David Soohoo, Luke Lam or Mary Frances Ward at the emails listed below.  I do not have any other information regarding this program except to say that former students found it outstanding!

Dear Pre-Health Advisor,

I am writing to you on behalf of the Academic Associate Program in the Department of Emergency Medicine at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, NY.  As the fall semester is approaching, I would like to send out a reminder to you regarding the Fall Research Internship Program at the Department of Emergency Medicine at North Shore University Hospital.  We would kindly ask that you forward our information to your students as soon as possible to maximize their chances for recruitment.  I would like to inform you about the fifteen open positions that we have for our Fall Research Internship Program to start in September 2009.  Over the past ten years, the academic leadership in the department has developed and successfully implemented a research internship program that supports the research infrastructure of the department.

The Volunteer Research Internship Program consists primarily of undergraduate premedical students who are seeking both research experience and clinical exposure. Interns have a unique opportunity to observe not only physicians, but also a busy emergency department. In the past, the Volunteer Research Interns have been chosen from highly-skilled high school students, post-baccalaureate students and even post-medical graduates seeking to expand their knowledge of the clinical research process.

During the academic year, our program focuses on studies which do not require consecutive sampling, such as retrospective chart review.  Interns usually spend their time conversing with physicians, residents, nurses, and other healthcare providers in order to truly understand the many tiers in the healthcare process. Furthermore, the interns are able to aid patients in a non-clinical manner. A research intern’s responsibilities include completing literature searches, patient screening tasks, data management duties as well as some basic scholarly writing. In the past, Volunteer Research Interns have earned co-authorship on abstracts based on their contributions. Furthermore, interns are offered education days where members of the ED faculty come and give talks on various issues related to healthcare and medical school. Other perks include opportunities to participate in physician-led tours of departments and other informational workshops. Previous research interns have had overwhelmingly positive feedback both on their time spent at the internship and on activities such as Education Day.

Proficiency with software applications such as Microsoft Access (data for the majority of the research projects are stored in Access databases), Excel, PowerPoint and Word is highly recommended among applicants.  Strong ambition, motivation, the ability to multitask, as well as interpersonal and leadership skills are absolutely necessary for these positions.

The Academic Associates

David Soohoo, BA; Luke Lam, BA

(516) 562-1235; (516) 562-1241

[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]

Senior Research Director

Mary Frances Ward, RN, ANP, MS

(516) 562-2926

It is our hope that you will convey this information to your exceptional premedical students at your earliest convenience.  Enclosed is a copy of our recruitment flyer.  If you would like to further explore this opportunity, please feel free to visit our website at, http://www.nsuhed.com/undergraduate-volunteer.html.  Please post and distribute it as you see appropriate.  We are currently accepting applications and urge interested students to submit their cover letter, résumé, and unofficial transcript as soon as possible, as we are aiming to make decisions by the end of August 2009.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".