“I am currently taking Organic Chemistry I with Professor Malikayil.  I do not know if you were notified but the professor had to leave mid-semester.  An interim professor has come in but will only have us for 2-3 weeks before another interim professor finishes out the semester with the class.

I am concerned about my science course evaluation.  I do not feel that there is enough time for the interim professors to get to know and accurately assess my work ethic but obviously I do not have a final grade in the course yet.  What is the appropriate course of action in a situation such as this?”

I’ve had several inquiries about this situation and below is what I suggested to other students.  All of you need to be able to swing with the change (I know that is easier said than done).  It is a good opportunity for anyone in this situation to learn how to manage a different style of teaching, how to manage to still be the best possible student you can be, and still get a grade you are pleased with.  I know this is not an ideal situation but if you are going to medical school you should be prepared to face adversity with confidence and good cheer and NOT with panic.  If you want to discuss this with me you can.

“Dr. Quigley informed the Dean about this situation yesterday.  Evaluations should be based on class grade and participation.  I would discuss your concerns with the instructors who are going to be teaching.  Many classes have multiple instructors and students are still able to garner good grades and evaluations.  You should continue to show you are a strong student, answer questions in class, participate in group sessions, etc.  There is not much else you can do.  The instructor quit for some reason (I am not privy as to why) and thus you guys are in a unique situation.  My concern, if I were you, would be learning how to now take an exam from someone else.  I would ask the instructor about how their testing might differ from the previous instructor and find out what their grading policy will be—it does not have to match that of the instructor who quit!  If you are completely uncomfortable with the situation I would speak to the department about whether or not they’d be willing to offer withdrawals at this late date—they would have to get permission from Dean Greenberg but if you are truly worried at this point I would explore this option (if it is one that might even be possible).  Hope this helps.”

Office Hours (for students already enrolled at Hunter or Hunter alumni)

Please see our website http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/prehealth/postba   for further information.  We would be happy to answer other questions via email.  Information sessions regarding the postbaccalaureate certificate program are offered through Hunter's Welcome Center.  Please see our website for upcoming sessions.

Mrs.Wood-Hill
Director, Prehealth Professions Advising Programs
Hunter College of CUNY
695 Park Ave, E812
NY, NY 10065
212-772-5121
FAX: 212-772-5138
http://studentservices.hunter.cuny.edu/prehealth.htm

Join the premedinfo-L listserv!http://hunter.listserv.cuny.edu

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".