FYI

COME JOIN ISL IN SERVING

THE SMALLEST EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS OF HAITI

ISL has been asked to send teams of staff and students to provide hands to help Haitian children, most of whom are orphans, displaced by the devastating effects of the recent earthquake.

We will be providing basic health services in the make-shift centers of Santo Domingo (capital city of the Dominican Republic) that are presently being used to house the young refugees.  Students will be assigned tasks based on their levels of expertise as approved by local health officials.

Areas of need include wound care, monitoring of vital signs, feeding those unable to do so themselves, general aid and comfort, and entertainment and recreational activities.

 These children are in need of some sense of safety, love and something akin to normal life.

Participants will be housed with ISL staff and in other home stays so as not to take much needed housing from other medical and relief personnel presently situated in the Dominican Republic.

Opportunities to serve the children of Haiti

March 6-14

March 13-21

March 20-28

March 27-April 4

and again beginning in May.

Spaces are limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis.  The cost of the trip is $1685 not including airfare.

Please share this information about our Haiti Orphan Project at  www.ISLonline.org/haiti with your students.

Please consider sending this information to your students.

Thanks to our students helping us staff these teams we estimate we’ll be serving approximately 35,000 of the underserved with varying levels of health care—thanks for the partnership!

More info at www.ISLonline.org.

ISL sends medical/dent/opt/public health/PT/vet/pharmaceutical teams to countries in Latin America, Central America, and Africa.  We include pre-health students on our teams as a way of preparing the next generation of international medical caregivers.  Students receive supervised hands-on experience, health related seminars, and financial sponsorship.

Listings of university, professional, and student references available upon request.  Over a 14 year period we’ve fielded over three hundred teams and annually provide health care for 15,000 of the underserved.

Please consider placing the attached information on your list serve for pre-health students and forwarding to any appropriate pre-health student organizations.  For professional/program references and information, please contact Pepper Tucker at [log in to unmask] or call 816-767-0481 or see our website at  www.ISLonline.org

Sincerely,

Michael Birnbaum, Executive Director

International Service Learning

Members Texas Association of Advisors for the Health Professions and GHEC.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail [log in to unmask]"">to:"[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".