_____

From: topics of interest to the Hunter College community
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of rkaplan
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 11:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Three Simple Cs of Internships

The Three Simple Cs of Internships: Guest Post by Bey-Ling Sha, Ph.D., APR
February 28th, 2010 | Author: Arika Daniels
Most public relations firms in SoCal and around the country want to have
interns, but many of these PR firms don't even understand what an intern
really is. An intern, by law (federal law, not some law I made up just for
fun), is a college student who receives training in a specific field, such
as public relations. An intern is not . repeat, is NOT . a gopher, a
photocopier, a coffee-maker, a personal assistant, a babysitter, or a slave.

Others have already written about this, but . clearly . some folks are still
not getting it. So, let me make things even simpler for you: Any
organization wishing to hire an intern needs to remember the three Cs:

Cash. You can pay your interns. Gasp! What a concept! But, yes, if your
organization can pay a college student at least minimum wage, this is the
simplest way to make sure that you are not breaking the law. Paying the
intern puts that student into a regular employer-employee relationship with
your organization, with its accompanying protections for things like
insurance.

Credit. If you are not paying your intern, then that student must be
receiving college credit for working with your organization. And please,
people, understand that YOU are not in a position to offer college credit
(yes, fix those ignorant ads on craigslist). Only colleges can offer college
credit (hence the name). Different universities have different rules about
how much academic credit they will give for internships, as well as about
which students qualify academically to receive such credit.

Community Nonprofit. If you cannot pay the intern, and if the student cannot
get academic credit from a university, then your organization must be a
registered 501c3 nonprofit. To hire an intern in this case, you must make
sure that the intern undergoes the same training as any other volunteer for
your organization. I highly doubt that any public relations firms qualify
for this category . just because your company had no net profits last
quarter does not make you a 501c3 nonprofit!

So, that sums it up. You can have more than one of these three Cs in the
internship, but you must have at least one, or you will be in violation of
the law.

As for all you SoCal PR firms out there that have interns working (often
full-time) in your offices, without pay, and without college credit (either
because they don't qualify academically for it or they have already
graduated) . I just hope that you have a really good lawyer on retainer.

Bey-Ling Sha, Ph.D., APR, is an associate professor of public relations in
the School of Journalism & Media Studies at San Diego State University,
where she coordinates the public relations internship program.

http://socalprblog.com/wordpress/?p=923

A friend sent me this article on Twitter: In college many of us are/were
often so desperate for an internship, we would do anything for another line
on our resume. Just something to bear in mind.

--Rachel Kaplan
   Hunter 2009