For students who were unsuccessful this year and want to continue their education and increase their chances of being accepted to medical school I recommend you consider the two programs below being offered at the NJ Medical schools.

The Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS)
http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/msbio.html
&
The Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (MSBS)
http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/msbs.html

These one-year programs are a good fit for motivated individuals interested in pursuing careers in the biomedical sciences or health related professions, especially medicine. The MBS requires the completion of a capstone project and the MSBS requires the completion of a research thesis.

Prospective students are required to submit the results of the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) or the Graduate Record Examination.  Generally it is expected that students will have MCAT scores above 22 or GRE scores in the 60th percentile or higher.

The following additional information was obtained from emailing GSBS officials:

GSBS plans to accept a total of 20 students into both programs i.e. 10 students in the MSBS and 10 in the MBS or more students in the MSBS than the MBS (or vice versa) as long as the total is about 20.  If GSBS gets a significant number of qualified applicants, the students accepted into the programs may go up to 40.  However, since this is the programs' first year, it is GSBS' intention to  keep the the class size small.

At present, GSBS don't have an "official" agreement with its medical school, wherein masters students who do well in these new programs will be offered an interview at the medical school when they apply.   GSBS is in the process, though, of exploring such a linkage between the masters programs and the medical school and hopes to be offering this benefit as part of the masters programs.

Please find application materials at:
http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/gsbs/MBSApplicationInformation.html

Applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis.  The deadline for application for Fall 2010 has been extended to June 15, 2010.

For more information, visit the websites noted above or contact:

Office Hours (for students already enrolled at Hunter or Hunter alumni)

Please see our website http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/prehealth   for further information.  We would be happy to answer other questions via email.  Information sessions regarding the postbaccalaureate certificate program are offered through Hunter's Welcome Center.  Please see our website for upcoming sessions.

Mrs.Wood-Hill
Director, Prehealth Professions Advising Programs
Hunter College of CUNY
695 Park Ave, E812
NY, NY 10065
212-772-5121
FAX: 212-772-5138
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/prehealth

Join the premedinfo-L listserv!
http://hunter.listserv.cuny.edu/scriptshc/wa-hc.exe?INDEX=&p=2

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail [log in to unmask]"">to:"[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".