[]

News from Melissa Mark-Viverito
Council Member, District 8

September 30
October 28, 2011
October E-News Updates
Recent News & Updates

1st Annual Haunted Housing March to be Held on Halloween 2011

This Monday, October 31st, El Barrio/East Harlem residents and community based organizations will gather for our First Annual Haunted Housing March to draw attention to the vacant units and abandoned building that exist in our neighborhood. Poverty and homelessness are at record levels in NYC and in East Harlem. We need developers to open these units and buildings to create more affordable housing.  The march will begin at 3:30 pm at 110th street and Lexington Avenue. Afterwards, a reception will be held at The Asthma Center for Excellence (161-169 East 110th Street) to discuss the shortage of available housing.  Click here for more info and we hope you can join us!

Participatory Budgeting in Action

This month, our office joined with the District 8 Participatory Budgeting Committee to hold seven Neighborhood Assemblies across our district. Over 600 people came out to these assemblies, including over 120 attendees at our Senior Assembly and over 150 young people at our Youth Assembly.  Next, we will move on to the budget delegate phase, when some 120 volunteers from the community will help form the ideas generated at these assemblies into concrete proposals.  These proposals will be discussed in the next set of Neighborhood Assemblies, to be held in February 2012, just before our March 2012 vote. To learn more, visit www.mmviverito.com/pbnyc or www.pbnyc.org.  We send our thanks to all individuals and groups that are part of the District 8 Committee, especially George and Angel of Community Board 11, Cynthia Doty, Stephen and Will of Yorkville Common Pantry, David of the Children's Aid Society, Carmen (and many other staff) of Community Voices Heard and Cecilia of Violence Intervention Program.

More Benches Coming to East Harlem Sidewalks

On October 20th 2011, Melissa helped announce a new City initiative that will place 1,000 new benches on sidewalks throughout New York City, beginning with the two brand new benches at East 109th Street between First and Second Avenues, outside of the Leonard Covello Senior Center.  The initiative, called City Bench, was launched in our community in response to the efforts undertaken by Melissa's office and East Harlem's Aging Improvement District (AID) to make our neighborhood more age-friendly.  These new benches are mainly intended to help provide seniors an opportunity to stop and rest as they are out walking in the community. This is just Melissa's latest effort to help provide an improved quality of life for our senior residents.  Read more.

Standing in Support of Occupy Wall Street Protests

Occupy Wall Street (OWS) has gripped the nation, with an estimated 30,000 protesters, including Melissa,  marching from Foley Square to Liberty Square on October 5th and with several marches thereafter. Before the October 5th march, Melissa spoke to her colleagues at the City Council stated meeting and encouraged them to stand up for reform and join hands with the protesters. Her full statement can be read here. And you can learn more about what Melissa thinks by watching her interview with SEIU 32BJ's Hector Figueroa on Pura Política (in Spanish), and this video (in English).

Congressman Gutierrez Visits New York as Melissa's Immigration Bill Advances

On Saturday, October 8th, we welcomed Congressman Luis Gutierrez to New York City. He spoke at an event in Staten Island on the importance of immigration reform, emphasizing the impact of the Secure Communities program and the changes to federal policies on deportation.  The following day, Congressman Gutierrez joined Melissa, Speaker Quinn, Congressman Rangel, Make the Road New York, and many other electeds and community members at Ascension Church on West 107th Street in our district.  Following the 9:30 am Spanish language mass, the elected officials addressed the congregants and then held a press conference outside to celebrate the advancement of Intro 656, a bill introduced by Melissa that will restrict the collaboration between the City's Department of Correction and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Congressman Gutierrez spoke highly of the legislation and stressed the importance of local and national collaboration on immigration reform.  The bill is set to pass next week.  Read more.

Progressive Caucus Autumn Updates

Read the latest on what the City Council's Progressive Caucus has been up to by clicking here. You can also click here to join the Progressive Caucus e-mail list, or visit our blog, follow us on Twitter ( @NYCProgressives) and find us on Facebook for all the latest!

Upcoming Events

First Annual Haunted Housing March (Sponsored by the El Barrio/East Harlem Anti-Displacement Task Force)

When: Monday, October 31st beginning at 3:30 pm

Where: March begins at 110th Street and Lexington Avenue

Contact Joey Pressley at [log in to unmask] for more info.

Search and Care Volunteer Open House

When: Tuesday, November 1st, 6:00 - 8:00 pm

Where: 1844 2nd Ave (95th/96th Streets)

RSVP to Robin Strashun at 212-289-5300 x203.

Healthy Relationships, Healthy Families: A Group for Young Women

When: Wednesday, November 2nd, 5:30 - 8:00 pm

Where: Edwin Gould Academy, 55 E. 110th Street

Join us to discuss relationships, well-being and more.  Food and prizes will be provided.  RSVP to Gabriela Leon at 347-933-1782.

FREE Citizenship Application Assistance (Sponsored by CUNY and Council Member Mark-Viverito)

When: Monday, November 21st, 12 noon - 3 pm

Where: Hunter College, East 68th Street and Lexington Ave, 8th Floor
Full details available here.

This is only a selection of local events.  Additional events in our district can be found at

http://www.eastharlempreservation.org/docs/events.htm (El Barrio/East Harlem) and http://www.columbusamsterdambid.org/events (the West Side).

Also, please see the following Community Boards' calendars for information on board and committee meetings dealing with local issues:

  Opportunities

Visit our District 8 Volunteer Opportunities page: www.mmviverito.com/volunteerThis is a page to help organizations connect with potential volunteers.  We hope more groups will begin to post their opportunities using the Comments section!

Tell Us What You Want to Build in Your Neighborhood - In a Video!

As part of our new Participatory Budgeting initiative, a contest has been launched where you can create a video to share how you would spend $1 million to improve our community.  All of those who create a video will be entered into a raffle to win a Flip video camera!  All contest details are below, as well as some tips for those who may be new to making videos. Please read the instructions carefully and upload your submission before the November 21st deadline.  Find out all the details by clicking here.

The Advocacy, Counseling, and Entitlement Services (ACES) Project

Are you 55 years or older and looking for a fulfilling volunteer opportunity? You can help the members of your community obtain the services and benefits they need by becoming an RSVP/ACES Benefits Counselor. For more information, call Edwin Osborne at 212.614.5412.

Reimagining the Waterfront -  Manhattan's East River Esplanade
CIVITAS is calling architects, landscape architects, urban planners, students and artists to generate dramatic and original concepts for New York City's east side waterfront park, from 60th to 125th streets,  jump-starting a process that aspires to the transformation of the entire East River pedestrian experience.  Visit the competition website, www.reimaginethewaterfront-civitas.com, for information about the jury, submission guidelines, prizes, and helpful resources.  Registration began on September 15.   Competition winners will be announced winter 2012.
Getting Involved

The Youth Violence Task Force

Unfortunately, we are experiencing a rise in violence in the El Barrio/East Harlem community, particularly among our youth.  Melissa has created the East Harlem/ El Barrio Youth Violence Task Force in response to the increase in violence among youth. The task force has been meeting for over a month and we hope you all will join in and be a part of this movement going forward. Only through working together will this issue be at the forefront of our community's priorities. Below is some information on our task force.  If you are interested in being on our listserv, please send an e-mail to [log in to unmask] and you will be added immediately.  To read more about the Task Force visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-x9.

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization (CBOs), tenants, activists, advocates and elected officials who collectively work, as a community, to confront ruthless landlords, investors, and developers that are attempting to displace members of our community. Their work brings visibility to the housing crisis through community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. Our office stands right behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by providing information and a local support network.  For more information, visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CJ.  To inquire about the next meeting call Joey Pressley at 212-828-9800.

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's youth (ages 13 and up) to take part in local politics in their surrounding community. Young people become involved with local entities that handle youth related issues such as; the Youth & Education Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can see the importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves. The youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New York Civil Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change You Believe In?" contest.  The District 8 Youth Council meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5pm - 6pm weekly. For more information visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CN or contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens who have united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore and memorialize its historically and culturally significant colonial African Burial ground at 1st Avenue, between 126th and 127th Streets. ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First Church of Harlem, also known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected a church building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as the "Negro Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground).   To learn more, visit http://harlemafricanburialground.wordpress.com/.

District 8 Immigrant Service Network

The East Harlem Immigration Task Force meets twice during any given month.  Planning meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month from 9:30am until 11am.  These meetings are designed to design and schedule the Task Force's activities.  The venue for these meetings rotate.  Full meetings are held of the third Thursday of each month from 9:30am until 11am.    For more info, please contact Joey Pressley at 212-828-9800 or [log in to unmask] or visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CH

Constituent Services Information

 Our District Office is Located at:

105 East 116th Street

New York NY, 10029

 Office Hours

 Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays and Wednesdays (11:00am to 6:00pm), Thursdays (10:00am to 6:00pm), and Saturdays (10:00am to 1:00pm). No appointment is necessary.

November Bronx & West Side Office Hours

Bronx (Millbrook Community Center, 201 St. Ann's Avenue @ 137th Street)

Tuesday, November 8th and Tuesday, November 22nd - 10:00 am to 12:00 noon

West Side (Children's Aid Society's Frederick Douglass Center, 885 Columbus Avenue @ 104th Street)

Tuesday, November 8th and Tuesday, November 22nd - 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Join Our Mailing List
Inside this Update: Jump to A Specific Section
News & Updates
Upcoming Events
Opportunities
Getting Involved
Constituent Services Info
Follow Our Work Online

Visit Our Blog

Find Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Visit Our Video Page

Join Our E-mail List
Contact Our Office

DISTRICT OFFICE:

105 East 116th Street

New York, NY 10029

P: (212) 828-9800

F: (212) 722-6378

CITY HALL OFFICE:

250 Broadway

Room 1882

New York, NY 10007

P: (212) 788-6960

F: (212) 442-1564
Forward email
[]   []
This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |
Office of Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito | 105 East 116th Street | New York | NY | 10029

To unsubscribe from the COMHEALUMNI-L list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(COMHEALUMNI-L,SIGNOFF);