From: Carnegie Council Policy Innovations
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]

 <http://www.policyinnovations.org/?sourceDoc=000061> Description: Image
removed by sender. Policy Innovations

 <http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/?sourceDoc=000061> Description: Image
removed by sender. Carnegie Council

February 28, 2012

 <http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/live>
<http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/live> Description: Image removed by sender.
<http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/live> Dear Friends,

Tune in LIVE today around 12:30 PM (New York time) for our latest Workshop
for Ethics in Business on Responsible Oversight: How Boards Can Promote
Profitable and Ethical Organizations
<http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/calendar/data/0342.html> . The discussion
will feature Suhas Apte, Tamara C. Belinfanti, Holly J. Gregory, Alice
Korngold, Caroline Kim Oh.

We are also testing a new platform to connect international relations
educators and students around the world: Global Ethics Network
<http://www.globalethicsnetwork.org/> , featuring the work of Carnegie
Council's Global Ethics Fellows
<http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/about/gefellows/index.html> . Please join
the site during this beta phase and let us know what works and what doesn't.

 <http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/join_us/gpi.html?sourceDoc=000061>

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/innovations/data/000207?sourceDoc=00
0061> The Kasiisi Porridge Project Story

Nancy Merrick

An innovative NGO in Uganda has helped bring daily porridge to hungry
schoolchildren, and it is now expanding with a 20-acre multipurpose farm and
indigenous forest to make the project sustainable.

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/audio/data/000630?sourceDoc=000061>
Microinequalities Inflicted on Women

Samantha Brennan, Christian Barry, Matt Peterson

Why is it that a woman can lead a country, yet women are slower to be served
in coffee shops? In the West, women and men share equal status under the
law. But in countless practical ways, women experience inequality on a daily
basis.

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/policy_library/data/01627?sourceDoc=
000061> Enforcement Not Extinction

This position paper from the Environmental Investigation Agency outlines a
range of global law enforcement strategies that are key to the survival of
the wild tiger. Key among them is reducing demand for tiger and big cat
parts.

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/video/data/000392?sourceDoc=000061>
Guatemalan Bicycle Machines Relieve Manual Labor

Maya Pedal Guatemala transforms donated bicycles into a range of
labor-saving machines that would otherwise require electricity or manual
labor, and they openly share their mechanical mashups with tinkerers around
the world.

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/audio/data/000631?sourceDoc=000061>
ETHICS MATTER: A Conversation with Anne-Marie Slaughter

Anne-Marie Slaughter, Julia Taylor Kennedy

Anne-Marie Slaughter on the responsibility to protect: I believe in a
values-based foreign policy and looking to cooperate as often as I can. I
also think that's basic self-interest. We don't do well when we go in
without the support of other nations.

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/policy_library/data/01626?sourceDoc=
000061> Resolving the Food Crisis

Timothy Wise, Sophia Murphy

The recent spikes in global food prices served as a wake-up call to the
global community, but what has really changed in the global policy response?

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/video/data/0003901?sourceDoc=000061>
Solar Cells Built from Plant Waste

MIT researcher Andreas Mershin has a vision that within a few years, people
in remote villages in the developing world may be able to make their own
solar panels, at low cost, using otherwise worthless agricultural waste as
their raw material.

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/commentary/data/000230?sourceDoc=000
061> U.S. Free Trade Agreement Won't Benefit Colombia

Kevin Gallagher

The now-official U.S.-Colombia Free Trade Agreement will dampen growth and
make it harder for Colombia to put in place policies for innovation and
industrialization, writes Kevin Gallagher. Colombia will also have fewer
tools to confront financial instability.

<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/video/data/000391?sourceDoc=000061>
Capital Controls: Protectionism or Market Correction?

Kevin Gallagher

In the Myth of Financial Protectionism, Kevin Gallagher argues that capital
controls tend to correct for market failures due to imperfect information,
contagion, and uncertainty.

CONNECT WITH US  <http://twitter.com/gpi> Description: Image removed by
sender. Twitter iconTwitter
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Policy-Innovations-Magazine/13166715850>
<http://www.policyinnovations.org/ideas/rss/index.html> Description: Image
removed by sender.RSS

FEEDBACK and SUBMISSIONS

Policy Innovations welcomes your feedback and submissions. If you have any
problems with our website or wish to submit
<http://www.policyinnovations.org/about/guidelines?sourceDoc=000061>  an
article for publication, please contact Managing Editor Evan O'Neil
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

C 2009 Policy Innovations

This email has been sent to [log in to unmask]

Policy Innovations is a publication of the Carnegie Council for Ethics in
International Affairs.
170 East 64th Street / New York, N.Y. 10065

To unsubscribe from Policy Innovations, please visit
http://www.policyinnovations.org/about/newsletter/unsubscribe or send an
email to [log in to unmask] with UNSUBSCRIBE in the Subject Field.

You can find our privacy policy at the following web address:
http://www.policyinnovations.org/misc/legal.html
<http://www.policyinnovations.org/misc/legal.html?sourceDoc=000061>

If you wish to unsubscribe from the COMHEALUMNI-L List, please send an E-mail to:
"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF COMHEALUMNI-L".