Dear Students,

Please see the job opportunity below. Thanks,

Attiqa

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kate Fahy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Subject: Job Opportunity: Communications Associate at the Institute for Family Health
To: Attiqa Mirza <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Attiqa,

Would you kindly post this job opportunity to the SPH listserv?  Many thanks!

Kate

Position Title: Communications Associate

Reports to: Director of Development and Communications

Job Description

The communications associate will be a strategic thinker and motivated self-starter who will play a key role in designing and implementing a robust, cost-effective communications plan for the organization. As a provider of health services, the Institute designs educational and informational materials that are compelling and literacy-appropriate. As a non-profit organization with a long history of service innovation and advocacy, the Institute uses media to communicate with policymakers, industry colleagues and community leaders. The communications associate will coordinate both sets of activities so that they support the organization's mission of making high-quality health care services affordable and accessible to all.

Responsibilities

·       Serve as project manager for a wide variety of communications activities, overseeing the development, design, production and distribution of print and web content targeted to patients, policymakers and the community at large;

·       Identify needs for patient communications materials including health education and information about new or underutilized services;

·       Identify opportunities to showcase achievements and increase the organization's public profile through earned media placements, news dissemination to community groups and other stakeholders, and other strategies;

·       Work closely with organization leadership to develop materials that are compelling, literacy-appropriate, and consistent with the Institute’s mission and vision;

·       Write and edit materials for both print and web venues including patient brochures, flyers and posters; email newsletters; website and blog articles; concept papers; etc.;

·       Strengthen the organization's online presence through proactive content development for organizational websites as well as social media venues;

·       Ensure consistent language across all printed materials distributed to patients, including brochures, letters, forms and mailings;

·       Ensure that each of our 26 practices has all needed communications materials in stock;

·       Work closely with designer, web developer and translator to develop attractive, easy-to-read materials;

·       As needed, assist the Director of Development and Communications with grantwriting, events, and  public relations activities.

Requirement and Skills

·       Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with a major in Communications, Health Education or similar field; master's degree in public health or similar field preferred

·       1-2 years minimum work/internship experience required

·       Superior writing and editing skills; we are looking for a talented writer who can produce materials for a variety of audiences and needs

·       Demonstrated aptitude for developing communications materials that are useful, relevant and respectful towards diverse communities including low-literacy; HIV positive; homeless; mentally ill; and other disadvantaged groups; as well as materials targeted to policymakers and industry  and community leaders

·       Outstanding attention to detail

·       Excellent organizational skills; comfortable managing deadlines

·       Team player; able to work well with multiple internal stakeholders

·       Interest in health care and human services a must; experience in these fields a plus

·       Willingness to travel occasionally to our sites in Manhattan, the Bronx and the Hudson Valley

·       Conversancy or fluency in Spanish preferred

Organization Description

The Institute for Family Health is a mission-driven health organization with a rich history and expert leadership. Since 1983 we have grown from a small non-profit with four staff members to one of the largest community health centers in New York State, serving over 80,000 patients annually at 26 locations.

The Institute is committed to high-quality, affordable health care for all. We strive for excellence at each of our 26 practices, while accepting all patients regardless of their ability to pay. We offer primary care, mental health, dental care, social work and many other services to patients of all ages. As a federally-qualified community health center (FQHC) network, we meet national standards for affordable, accessible, comprehensive health care services.

In addition to operating health centers, we use our expertise and resources to address racial and ethnic disparities in health, advance the use of health information technology, and find innovative ways to improve care for diabetes, depression, women’s health, HIV and other priorities in the communities we serve. We also train health students and professionals at all levels.

The Institute is committed to improving the health care system, particularly for individuals and communities who historically have had limited access to care. We engage in research to improve health care services, and participate in policy development at the local, state and national levels.

To apply:
Please send a resume, cover letter (specifying the position of interest) and three writing samples along with salary requirements to:

HR Department
The Institute for Family Health
22 West 19th Street, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10011