Forwarded from CSPI:

State and localities across the nation are implementing policies to provide healthier food and beverage choices in public places. They are establishing food and nutrition guidelines for government agencies, worksites, hospitals and organizations for food and beverages served and sold through vending machines, cafeterias, concession stands, programs, etc.

To help support these efforts, we have gathered at http://www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy/foodstandards.html resources, including nutrition standards, model policies, and lessons learned.

Thanks to all the members of the National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity who have been participating in the subcommittee to develop model vending standards, those standards should be finalized soon.

Finally, we’ve been working to identify a name for this initiative (something that is more comprehensive and user friendly than procurement). The name that is emerging is “Healthier Food Choices for Public Places” with the subtitle, “Food and Nutrition Guidelines for Government, Worksites, Hospitals and Organizations.”

Please let us know if you are interested in getting more involved in this effort or how we can support your efforts.

Margo & Lori (Kaley)

Lori Kaley, MS, MPP
Margo G. Wootan, D.Sc.
Director, Nutrition Policy
Center for Science in the Public Interest
1220 L Street, NW, Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20005
202-777-8354
202-265-4954 (fax)
www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy<http://www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy>

If you wish to unsubscribe from the NFS-L List, please send an E-mail to:
"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF NFS-L".