?letterdate ?

National Food Day is a nationwide celebration that aims to create awareness about healthy, affordable and sustainable food – and it's happening today!

To help mark this special occasion – and to help celebrate the incredible momentum and awareness that we're seeing today when it comes to food and nutrition – we wanted to let you know about some of the important and exciting food work that we're doing right here in New York City.

If you have any questions about the initiatives described below, please don't hesitate to contact Danielle Porcaro in my office at [log in to unmask].

Thanks and Happy Food Day!!!

Sincerely,

Christine C. Quinn

Speaker

NYC Council

Food System Metrics Report

Last summer, the NYC Council passed Local Law 52, requiring the City to collect and publish data on how food is produced, processed, distributed, and consumed throughout the region so we can better understand how the food system is operating and what we can do to improve it.

We're thrilled to announce that the first report is now available!

The 19 metrics included in the report cover everything from the amount of local and regional food being purchased by the NYC Department of Education; to the impact of FRESH, Healthy Bodegas, Green Carts and other city programs to increase access to healthy, affordable food; to the efforts being made to make meals served in hospitals, senior centers and homeless shelters more nutritious.

Having this data will help us make better decisions about how we get our food and how to improve its impact on public health and the environment.  It will also help us measure progress on the goals outlined in our FoodWorks plan for improving the City's food system.

I want to thank the Administration and all of my Council colleagues, especially Council Member Dickens, who introduced and sponsored our food metrics report bill, for their vital work passing this important piece of legislation.

Special thanks as well to all of the advocates and food policy experts who've been working with us to help implement and achieve our vision of creating a healthier future for our city.

You can download a copy of the report here.

Breakfast in the Classroom

Last month, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan called for schools across the country to increase participation in the free School Breakfast Program.

We're thrilled with the Secretary's support for breakfast in the classroom.

The NYC Council has been advocating for increased participation in the School Breakfast program here in New York City, despite resistance from the Administration.

In fact, this past summer we passed two resolutions introduced by Council Member Levin calling for increased support of the program.

A nutritious breakfast gives children the best chance for a successful day, and the School Breakfast program delivers that vital meal.

You can read more about our and Secretary Duncan's support for breakfast in the classroom at http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/school_meals_weight_sec_trgOg8WikI9Zj7QMapyptN.

Big Apple Crunch

Celebrate Food Day and help New York City set the world record for "Most Participants in an Apple-Crunching Event" by participating in the Big Apple Crunch!

The idea behind this fun, exciting event is to gather New Yorkers together and to have everyone bite into an apple at once.  We'll be trying to set the record for most people to participate in an apple-crunching event – a fun, participatory way to promote healthy eating.

The event will take place today.  New Yorkers can participate either individually or in groups.  Register online here and pledge to take a bite at noon today or at any other point during the day that works best for you.  RecordSetter.com – a New York City-based organization tracking new world records – will be tracking our progress towards having the most participants in an apple-crunching event.

Help New York be the crunch heard around the world!

2nd Annual NYC Food Manufacturers Expo

Last year, we celebrated National Food Day by attending the City's first-ever NYC Food Manufacturers' Business Expo and Networking Event, organized by the NYC Council and the NYC Economic Development Corporation (EDC).  The event brought together over 150 food manufacturers, retailers, brokers and other groups from around the five boroughs.

This year's 2nd Annual NYC Food Manufacturers Expo will take place next Wednesday, October 31st, from 9 am to 2:30 pm at Baruch College, located at 55 Lexington Avenue in Manhattan.

Growing the City's food manufacturing industry is a critical part of our FoodWorks agenda, so we hope folks can make it to this year's expo.  Click here to register and learn more about this exciting event.

In addition, as we told you in July, the NYC Council is working with the Pratt Institute to develop ways to improve and expand the distribution of locally-manufactured food right here in our own backyard.

As part of these efforts, the Pratt Institute and the East Williamsburg Valley Industrial Development Corporation (EWVIDCO) are hosting a panel discussion with NYC food distributors on Thursday, November 8th, from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.  The event will be held at EWVIDCO's office located at 11 Catherine Street in Brooklyn.

To RSVP, email [log in to unmask].

Farmer's Markets

Finding fresh local food in New York City during the winter months may seem like an impossible task.  But the good news is that there are plenty of farmers markets around the City that are open year-round.  Here are a few that you can visit this season:

Manhattan: 97th Street Friday (EBT); 82nd Street Saturday (EBT); 79th Street Sunday (EBT); Abingdon Square Saturday Bowling Green Tuesday & Thursday; Columbia Thursday & Sunday (EBT); Dag Hammarskjold Plaza Wednesday; Inwood Saturday (EBT); Port Authority Bus Terminal Thursday; Staten Island Ferry Whitehall Terminal Tuesday & Friday (EBT); Tompkins Sunday (EBT); Tribeca Wednesday & Saturday; Tucker Square Thursday & Saturday; Union Square Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday (EBT)

Brooklyn: Brooklyn Borough Hall Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday (EBT); ?Carroll Gardens Sunday (EBT); Cortelyou Rd Sunday (EBT); Fort Greene Park Saturday (EBT); Grand Army Plaza Saturday (EBT); Greenpoint McCarren Park Saturday (EBT)

Queens: Jackson Heights Sunday (EBT)

For times, exact locations and a list of additional markets around the City, check out GrowNYC's website at http://www.grownyc.org/

Enjoy!