Dear All,

For those who are safe and able to help… Passing on this request we received… hope you can help:

The National Guard and FEMA have arrived in Brooklyn but at least in Red Hook did not have anything to distribute to the people.  Also, gasoline is very scarce so those of us who wanted to drive out to Brooklyn with supplies could not do so without getting stuck on the way there.

1. This morning, please help out where you can:

MUTUAL SUPPORT SITES
Red Hook Initiative
767 Hicks St
Brooklyn, NY 11231
718-858-6782   Phone
718-852-4984   Fax
[log in to unmask]   Email

Park Slope Armory
361 15th St.

Brooklyn Tech High School
29 Fort Greene Place

BROOKLYN - SUNSET PARK / FAR ROCKAWAY

If you want to volunteer in Sunset Park or Far Rockaway:

Please go to Jacobi Church in Sunset Park 5406 4th Avenue

If you have a cars full of ready to eat food, cleaning supplies, clothes, and/or volunteers, please go straight to Far Rockaway, at the corner of B113 and Rockaway Blvd. Or at the kitchen located at a restaurant called Veggie Island at 96th Street and Rockaway Boulevard.

You can go starting immediately.  If you are going to Far Rockaway - please dress appropriately: warm clothes and boots!

To get the list of needs please visit www.interoccupy.net/occupysandy/

MEDICS ARE NEEDED IN FAR ROCKAWAY - If you do not have a car, please go to St. Jacobi Church 5406 4th Avenue and catch a ride to Far Rockway to address 112-34 Rockaway Beach Blvd.  Contact: Diego at 516 225 7868.

Other Brooklyn Shelters looking for help:  http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy/brooklyn-hurricane-shelters-need-some-help/

MANHATTAN - CHINATOWN

CAAAV

46 Hester St Frnt A · New York

(212) 473-6485

served more than 500 people yesterday to get their phones charged, to get food and supplies, and most importantly to get INFORMATION.

This is what they need immediately:

1) Donations. Specifically-- food, water, flashlights, batteries (AA, AAA, D). We could use another generator and power outlets for people to charge things.

2) Volunteers. To help with outreach, distribution of supplies, and organizing/moving people. We anticipate more than double the amount of people to come through tomorrow. We're also getting specific requests to check up on seniors and would like to be able to do that if possible. (Note: If you plan on coming through you will not have much ability to use your cellphone. Maybe texts, but not much else.)

3) Take action. Demand that the leaders of this City take responsibility for Chinatown/Lower East Side and other still impacted communities. Stop putting people over profits. The people of our communities deserve just as much attention as Wall Street and Times Square.

And of course, we can always use financial donations. Just today alone, CAAAV staff and volunteers used hundreds of dollars of our own money to buy flashlights and batteries. Please consider making a donation at http://www.nycharities.org/donate/c_donate.asp?CharityCode=1838&amount&designategift2.

If you have any questions or want to support, reach out to us at [log in to unmask]. We are trying to get back to people as soon as we can, but we're most likely able to respond after 8pm when we can get to a place with cell service. The best thing you can do is just come down and bring stuff/people with you.

2. Starting Tonight, please call or email the following people to let them know that people in affected areas of NYC are in a desperate situation and have not received government relief, if they do nothing, they can't say they didn't know:

A. President Barack Obama

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments

Call the President

Phone Numbers

Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414

TTY/TTD

Comments: 202-456-6213

Visitor's Office: 202-456-2121

B. Senator Charles Schumer
https://www.schumer.senate.gov/Contact/contact_chuck.cfm

Washington D.C. Office

322 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington D.C. 20510
Phone: 202-224-6542
Fax: 202-228-3027
TTD: 202-224-0420

New York City Office

780 Third Avenue
Suite 2301
New York, NY 10017
Phone: 212-486-4430
Fax: 212-486-7693
TDD: 212-486-7803

C. Governor Mario Cuomo

http://www.governor.ny.gov/contact/GovernorContactForm.php

You may also contact the Governor's office by phone (518) 474-8390

Susan Klitzman MPH DrPH CPH

Acting Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

CUNY School of Public Health at Hunter College

2180 Third Avenue

New York, NY 10035

212-396-7727

For more information about the CUNY SPH, please visit our website:

http://www.cuny.edu/site/sph.html

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email.

To unsubscribe from the COMHEALUMNI-L list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(COMHEALUMNI-L,SIGNOFF);