The Children’s Aid Society is looking for 1-2 Master’s students to assist with evaluation efforts for both their Cooking and Nutrition Ed programs as well as their  new Food Justice Program.  Please see their announcement, which is appended below.

The Children’s Aid Society’s Seeks Evaluators for Cooking, Nutrition Education and Food Justice Initiatives for Youth

The Children’s Aid Society’s Go!Healthy initiative is seeking Masters’ level students  to lead evaluation efforts for two of our food and nutrition programs:

Go!Chefs Cooking and Nutrition Education Program

Go!Chefs is a hands-on cooking, gardening and nutrition education program that introduces elementary and middle school youth to the pleasures of growing, preparing and enjoying real food that is both nutritious and delicious. The 14-week curriculum serves over 1,500 students per year.

The Go Chefs evaluation entails pre-post surveys, focus groups, interviews, classroom observations, and more. The intern will implement the evaluation from start to finish, including designing evaluation tools; gathering, inputting and analyzing data; and researching and making recommendations for improvement on both the program and evaluation design. Interns may also have the opportunity to assist with hands-on cooking and nutrition education classes.

Food Justice Program

Our Food Justice Program is a pilot initiative for middle school youth. It is a 24-week initiative for youth in East Harlem and the South Bronx, and it aims to empower young people to explore what food means to them and to their community from various perspectives, including how it intersects with their neighborhood’s cultural, racial, economic, ecological, historical and health landscapes. It engages students through videography, field trips, community food assessments, family food histories and more.

The Food Justice evaluation includes helping to build a youth participatory research project from the ground up. The program will engage youth across 3 sites in a year-long community food project of their choice. This program also involves a photovoice evaluation component in connection with Hunter College.

Commitment:

We are accepting applications for half or full-year commitments. Graduate students will work closely with the Director of Food and Nutrition Programs to shape the scope of work to their academic and personal interests. All interns will be exposed to the breadth of our healthy eating, gardening and wellness initiatives. Applicants must be able to commit to approximately 10 hours per week, and those who dedicate additional time will gain more from it and have the opportunity to become deeply involved in the work.  Students  must have the ability to both work remotely and to travel to sites across upper Manhattan and the South Bronx. We will provide unlimited monthly Metro cards.

Qualifications:

·       Evaluation experience preferred.

·       Experience teaching, working with young people, and/or cooking preferred

·       Deep interest in healthy eating and wellness initiatives that meet best educational practices for young people

·       Strong management, organizational, and personal skills

·       Reliable, enthusiastic, and possess a strong work ethic

·       Excellent communication skills and works well in a team

·       A willingness to be flexible

To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to [log in to unmask]

About The Children’s Aid Society

Since 1853, The Children’s Aid Society (CAS) has worked to improve the lives and future outcomes of New York City’s children in poverty. We do this by providing comprehensive supports to children and their families in targeted, high-needs New York City neighborhoods, including Washington Heights, Harlem and the South Bronx.

For more information about our Food and Nutrition Programs, visit www.chidlrensaidsociety.org/nutrition.