PPW Spotlights Sustainability
Academy Foundation Scholarships
Assist HEN at MINK
HomeGrown Local Food Summit
CleanMed April 24-26
Free Online Course. Starts 1/23/12!
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9mjmi1hUrx2M8TytDDyYqsvO_zqvTvnYtjDe7vzzycLN6elE9sXS1RXsJB6BsfPV9jhmWC2C3rh68Z6luiRZy_yvSE-26AW6Tc=>

HEN Website<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9ndFt8POpGEbaTScAkxij19eG9S9BPhgxFvaxTSMdMVisfwCl1H27k2hjNlKLR2EN7OQlxfIHHHsgw2kHv6ohg9wYc_HhcgKTo=>

Contact HEN Ezine<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

[Top]Letter from the Chair
[cid:]

As food and nutrition professionals, it is our task to find ways in which to educate, support policy, and think critically about how to promote and sustain health. As scientists, many clinical professionals are trained to utilize concise indicators such as lab values, BMI, and calorie intake to determine if interventions are warranted. As HEN members, we have the unique tendency to take a systemic look at how other factors, such as diet composition, and whole, sustainably raised, and produced foods, impact health. The meta-analysis released by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9nL4LMCmtWNHCnjLL2pj86HmFWeicodV6XYk8OVVBm2VKSqKEZx7xAl37qqBe-XxVSVIjTz8nv6obM0QNTYCn-l5CC-AE5qd5wK0ihSQuWSwAej7Fr5E15zkCtu5Jxf1g-L0io6Vzy-Y8w_Wze67ZB2PrklHBgvjv0=>  provides a confirmation that there is more to health than just numbers. In a time when weight is the reigning indicator of health, could a normal weight person consuming a highly-processed and calorie-restricted diet be just as healthy as an overweight individual consuming nutrient-dense whole foods? I do not know of a current study that looks at this, but it is an important question, nonetheless. HEN Member Andy Bellatti, MS, RD, digs into this topic in his article, The Big Oversight In Our Obesity Conversation<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9kmxWKJSmtdwlHXXgOv6cUwieI6ZqTrfN0Za15WpGsGlhW6ESb2S-3OAZcLbsjdUS0h6eVaCSNhS-9HKxFnQgjWoDhkNvOld3ekgv9yWbQGc_P0Wn-PMbGuMdWgmggggFi7cwllWSYZE1r2SUls7P_vdTdnGHj4IP5y7uPia-onVrA6gZcSpZfYOt3akchFwlg=>, posted in Civil Eats. How we nourish ourselves, our patients, and our community is important to prevention-based care. To quote Andy, "After all, if the goal is simply to get someone to lose 15 pounds, then a 100-calorie snack pack of Cheetos should "do the trick," as should a diet soda. " It is our job, HEN Members, to bring this broader concept into mainstream thinking. This year's Public Policy Workshop, Policy from the Ground Up<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9mrCEkAxMFQ7nnIdB0FZBiMaeOfX3b5hWG803SGwvusULn2mDcEKSEKDPRSM9LPGPaBXdkK2vkgoGXmACtdbK4V-Y3V-vjIRtrsl9Djvq3dGqSklQy6h0SP>, spotlighting sustainable food systems, may give us an opportunity to identify ways to do this. I encourage you to consider attending!

All the Best,

Stacia Clinton, RD, LDN

2012-2013 HEN Chair

[cid:]

Request for Input from the Academy on Food Security Resources

Are you working hard to promote healthy eating to community members in need? Have you ever wondered how other nutrition educators and food banks are doing this? You're not alone! I am excited to share that a resource hub is being created to support the use of quality nutrition education materials and creation of healthy food environments across the Feeding America food bank network<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9l8XpI_MH3fsEKreG64GZ4gHLAQiTIpAGI3lu5Qv4iyRbnYqR2LSAdE56VKVOgIX76qbcd1G_0Yy3zHh2tnq6b-snU8wPta4lC6biPMAlxZpQ==>.

The resource hub is being created as a part of the new Future of Food collaboration between the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Feeding America, and the National Dairy Council. To get started, the Academy needs your help to submit materials, tools, resources and strategies that are appropriate for use with low-income and food-insecure populations and those who serve them.

Click HERE<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9lC7KCRAV_RBpiu3XmqToiok2mjp1_CkgvvenF10ow-nmvSdjzOzyOGQOC-C43Moo78HWil6QqACi6dxfQajopWvB74WOEFSt6htMiyAzcGIIBCUH1xtl6A-mZA5vqEPvjw888xsAciZf4CWjAny5oz788AzUXVC15sy4iUz8Hlb4yTExLn0PhCZOnfs1c3QT4=> for instructions on how to submit materials, tools, resources, and strategies (note submissions are requested by February 15, 2013). Please copy HEN Food Security Co-Chairs on your submissions so we may support dissemination to HEN members. This is the best way to share our vast wealth of knowledge and resources to improve nutrition education and access to healthy food for all.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

HEN Food Security Taskforce Co-Chair:

Laura Holtrop Kohl, MS, RD

Back to Top

[cid:]

  HEN Announces Scholarships for Student & International Members

The Hunger & Environmental Nutrition DPG is proud to announce the provision of three scholarships for interested HEN members.

 The School-to-Farm Program Joraan Forbord Memorial Scholarship: The HEN School-to-Farm Program connects members who are farmers and growers with dietetic students and interns seeking volunteer experiences related to HEN's Vision, Mission, and Definition of Sustainability.  HEN will provide a reimbursement scholarship to a student member to support the travel expenses for participation in this program.  For more information on the School to Farm program, please see the HEN website at  http://www.hendpg.org/hen.cfm?page=farm-to-school<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9k5rmFfWuhv1KDEaQZ5Wkqwf0NlIHKei-PKKBBqNLmEwAeQMtIsKIDd7EWEDAgliRk1Ye_QSnFntpDsr5ZkA5h83bs0YsBUB6cNCaNYj5dLsmaS9iR3hkUAaYz476sY0hqnZkNaZOAo5g==>.

 The Dr. Robert E. Putz Memorial Scholarship: The HEN DPG awards a $200 reimbursement scholarship to support a HEN student member's attendance at a conference that will further their knowledge of conservation or the environment.

HEN International Scholarship: The HEN DPG awards a one-year paid membership to both the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and to our DPG to an RD who is working internationally in the food security or sustainable food systems arenas. One scholarship in the combined amount reflecting the dues costs for the Academy and HEN membership will be awarded each year. Both external and self-nominations are welcome.

All applications and further instructions can be found on the HEN website at http://www.hendpg.org/hen.cfm?page=scholarships<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9mK9yV3cSx8iPFEYux3Dwt9xI7V6lYf9OMcAublq03cxhMpPv8mO6ew1zTbSma7rCeaMMLZGN7U-wHI-2s5Dd2S6VkFzEqcDn0BZmjFLYM5ByRpNOpwI6u-ZxPHnCnwLep7f8Se2KS9Rw==> . The deadline for submission is February 28, 2013 and winners will be announced on March 15,2013.

Back to Top

[cid:]

 News from Greater New York HEN Special Interest Group:

New York City Leads the Way In Public Health

Written by Rachel Berger, MS, RD

New York City is on the cutting edge of many public health initiatives aimed at decreasing rates of obesity. On December 5, 2006, the New York City Board of Health voted to phase out the use of trans fat in restaurants. By July 1, 2008, foods served in restaurants could not contain more than 0.5 grams trans fat per serving. Recent research shows that this measure has successfully reduced trans fat consumption at New York City restaurants, and it has been implemented in many other cities including Boston, Philadelphia, and the state of California. Also on December 5, 2006, the New York City Board of Health passed a measure stipulating that chain restaurants with more than 20 locations post calorie information on menus and menu boards. This regulation went into effect on July 1, 2007, and soon will be implemented in the rest of the country, as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010.

New York City's latest initiative is the so-called soda "ban," a regulation stipulating that as of March 13, 2013, sugary drinks offered and sold in foodservice establishments cannot contain more than 16 fluid ounces. Food service establishments include restaurants, mobile food carts, delis, and concessions at movie theaters, stadiums or arenas. Sugary drinks are defined as beverages that have added sugar, contain <50% milk/ milk substitute by volume or have more than 25 calories per 8 fluid ounces. Just as New York City was the first city in the United States to ban trans fat and require calorie labeling in chain restaurants, perhaps the soda portion size regulation will soon spread to the rest of the country as well.

For more information about the Greater New York HEN (GNYHEN) Special Interest Group visit:  http://gnyhen.org/<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9ni6UQ3NbceZT9y1pVeW8KoOxfYXlnPAa6vrGaIN2V7TJhcjfpriOCt-M6C4oD9IgQRDR_D7CrW1QCBI6SVH-LwBFydnkRfZYg=>

Back to Top

[cid:]

  GNYHEN Event! "A Trip to the Museum, Food, Nature, Culture"

Our affiliate-based GNYHEN members have organized a trip to the Museum of Natural History for a journey through the history and culture of food on Saturday, February 9th at 11 AM.

"In the new exhibition Our Global Kitchen: Food, Nature, Culture, the American Museum of Natural History explores the complex and intricate food system that brings what we eat from farm to fork. With opportunities to taste seasonal treats in the working kitchen, cook a virtual meal, see rare artifacts from the Museum's collection, and peek into the dining rooms of famous figures throughout history, visitors will examine the intersection of food, nature, culture, health, and history-and consider some of the most challenging issues of our time."

Visit the American Museum of Natural History website<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9nxBAAtw44J4dkNRMf8bv2N_NRfIwVrTEvTdLReHvOny5XbPo6iwQlGDLgzu9yd2TZL_0zJVIZ6Q7DlQCfJXXBtACCj6cSILw2kSYDLx7YDAj2-_XMliIId7v7k34F2_OmggyxlqY1xG2vmyPO4M6mtNTiKDTWPo-wjKbThojcNidVD_XznVSIHSlcCXeKdNn7TB4xHp3MO4g==> for more information about the exhibit and admission fee.

The exhibit also has a working kitchen offering the chance to participate in taste tests and demonstrations of cooking methods. The theme of the kitchen during our visit will be chocolate.

Meet us on the steps of the museum on Saturday, February 9th at 11 AM and experience the exhibit with us. We will visit a nearby restaurant after the exhibit for a late lunch and to reflect on what we learn. Contact GNYHEN liaison Rachel Berger, MS, RD, ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) with your interest in attending before February 1st.

Back to Top

[cid:]

  The Academy's Public Policy Workshop Spotlights Sustainable Food Systems!

Registration is OPEN<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9mrCEkAxMFQ7nnIdB0FZBiMaeOfX3b5hWG803SGwvusULn2mDcEKSEKDPRSM9LPGPaBXdkK2vkgoGXmACtdbK4V-Y3V-vjIRtrsl9Djvq3dGqSklQy6h0SP> for this year's Public Policy Workshop, entitled Policy from the Ground Up. The event will be held on March 10-12th and will focus on developing local and sustainable food and nutrition advocacy strategies to improve the health of Americans.

We want to see HEN members there!

Back to Top

[cid:]

 The Academy Foundation Scholarships

Every year, the Academy offers a variety of fellowships, awards, and scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing a career in dietetics as well as dietetic interns and dietetic technician students. The deadlines for these scholarships and awards are quickly approaching! For more information, click on the links below:

  *   Foundation Scholarship<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9kDrZOySFaV56ja3RSGNwqXtzfLw90ogdusSTicayE5aKjsMst6uQuZhJ4_pOTBi8CFQ8GPNKIDubym9gdK0BWJk_J1k0sGfH5pm1RfCSRMOlu2nILytclyWewQZKp6uxNwj6SCkeUuHw==> deadline is February 15, 2013
  *   The Food Safety Student Challenge<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9kEwt2vD76ErN3frEDMFXJMJqnldBtRFv9cGwwioQ3wTmxgmSR-s1spW4HM8y_T8JsOMMocStL-uLMS7D2JoYeFIwF92JK6K1Civ108rLFhPnAXNWWlaNlkKzBXt7GULEiSngHFk9Fo6Q==> deadline to apply is February 1, 2013
  *   Foundation Award<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9n58x1g-ANjKQTK9N4GG_YlDx3Y6arc1ePo0soevMBMo_uUmK-EGKlHf9ZgDfa-QF1qnSlma6HMXDXi9arZXzDD63-xU-cB6sWV6mgGiu1G6zWf7e3IZbdgrZePYbrBFRUa8japb9tjiA==> deadline is February 1, 2013

If you are able, please consider supporting the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation's Annual Fund.

Your support will enable the Foundation to continue to provide scholarships, research grants, continuing education awards and innovative educational programs through the Kids Eat Right initiative.

To learn more about the Foundation or to make a donation go to http://www.eatright.org/foundation/donate/<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9lDlVttwJpfVN0Pgb8pXuFju4hQ-y-dTU2aGOsbT-wtvoPuVuBPGQ8hu98Swg-jIruo1VZHpehF8gN0LdOHH3hKb8G1ieLLlDaLdyUEAhHkY0A3dEm0HuEGJbSQD_ttujGPE1QnqfCzPg==>.

Back to Top

[cid:]

  Assist HEN at the MINK Conference

The Missouri Dietetic Association, the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the Nebraska Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and Kansas Dietetic Association (MINK) will hold their 2013 MINK Conference, "Nutrition Without Boundaries"<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001CARHAL_Ty9n8jGrGEs45taKRFaQDgyigrUMJ9uR54xxL0DZdUc-b7S7SEc4PA5UMpMyeMwMCsrz97eLn6FlS5BA26P9o1nsBLaWZe1wHraFuY6Vh2bcj6bvn6OYpog5VjqGBGVnXIiE=> on April 4, 5, and 6 at the Overland Park Sheraton, at 6100 College Boulevard Overland Park, Kansas. The conference will look to draw an estimated 450-500 attendees.

If you are attending the Conference and would be willing to represent HEN during some portion of the exhibit hours, please contact HEN Chair: Stacia Clinton [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by February 1, 2013.

Back to Top

[cid:]

 <

If you wish to unsubscribe from the NFS-L List, please send an E-mail to:
"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF NFS-L".