From: 'Science & the City' <[log in to unmask]>
Date: January 6, 2013, 3:42:04 PM EST
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: S&C Weekly: Jan 6, 2013 - Bringing an Asteroid to the Moon, Psychotic Movies, Food Security, and More

Jan 6, 2013
Visit the Science & the City Home Page Science & the City Events Download Science Podcasts Support Science & the City

moonThere's a lot of debate about the agents and direction of future space exploration. Should we send robots or astronauts? While robotic missions tend to be cheaper and entail less risk, humans can creatively respond to unexpected challenges and generate tons of excitement about science here on Earth. Where should we be looking? In this podcast, scientists debate the relative value of Martian versus lunar expeditions. In a 2010 speech, President Obama said, "I understand that some believe that we should attempt a return to the surface of the Moon first, as previously planned. But I just have to say pretty bluntly here: We’ve been there before." He emphasized investment in research to develop deep space exploration capabilities and public-private collaborations.

Interestingly, last week the Keck Institute for Space Studies confirmed NASA consideration of a plan to coerce a near-Earth asteroid into lunar orbit, which could contribute to all of these ideas falling into place. The asteroid (likely to be 1999 AO10) would provide an accessible base for studying the possibility of mining asteroids (and the moon) for components of spaceship fuel, which could be used to power missions to more distant destinations. Eliminating the need to carry fuel for the entirety of such a mission would open up new possibilities for vehicle and expedition designs. Besides facilitating interplanetary voyages, potential advantages include a (relatively) more affordable space tourism industry and the feasibility of space debris clearing projects.

A number of private companies have been looking into asteroid and/or lunar mining for years now, but is this legal? The Outer Space Treaty of 1967, the keystone document of international space law, prohibits territorial grabs by nations but doesn't rule out resource extraction. A United Nations Resolution, 34/68 Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies, explicitly acknowledges the benefits of space object resource exploitation and calls for the establishment of an international regime to oversee "the orderly and safe development of the natural resources of the moon" and "an equitable sharing by all States Parties in the benefits derived from those resources." This doesn't mention private business, though, and law has yet to catch up to technical aspects of ownership questions, explains this SPACE.com article.

The lack of legal clarity over ownership rights could put a damper on private investment for now, but the ball is rolling, and we might see operational symbioses between government agencies and companies in the fairly near future—NASA estimates it would only need 6-10 years to bring an asteroid to the moon.

Lust and Love in the Animal Kingdom
Science and History
Damming the Colorado River
wadeNational Geographic Explorer Wade Davis discusses his travels in and studies of the Colorado River. From Native Americans, to Mormons, to farmers, to rafters, the river evokes a powerful sense of U.S. history and beauty. It's also a symbol of the tension between preservation and progress, with 25 dams drastically altering the river and the South West.

WHEN
Mon Jan 6
6:00 PM (reception)
7:00 PM - 8:30 PM (lecture)
WHERE
The Explorers Club
46 East 70th St.
PRICE
$20, $5 w student ID

Author Talk
Delightfully Deranged Doctors, and Reality
psychFilm history is full of creepy psychologists. Remember what goes with fava beans? Psychiatrist and author Sharon Packer, MD, discusses the real life clinical controversies (like lobotomies) that inspired this trope, legal reforms that protect patients against involuntary commitment, and some of our favorite deranged fictional doctors.

WHEN
Wed Jan 9
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
WHERE
The New York Academy of Medicine
1216 Fifth Avenue at 103rd Street
PRICE
Free, advanced registration required

Science and Society
Feeding the Growing Population
marcusBy 2050, it's projected that the world will host 9 billion people, and we'll all need to eat. Food security is an important geopolitical and humanitarian issue, with climate change and price fluctuations destabilizing access to food in many parts of the world. Author Raj Patel, geneticist Molly Jahn, and award-winning chef Marcus Samuelsson discuss how breakthroughs in science and technology prevent Malthusian catastrophe.

WHEN
Thurs Jan 10
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
WHERE
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
PRICE
$15

Science and Art
Preserving Technological Memory
archiveFlooding from Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc on Eyebeam's digital archives. The institution's turning its inspiring recovery efforts into a community learning experience, with an exhibition of salvaged works as well as lectures and workshops on digital preservation. The exhibition will be up from Jan 8-12. There's a special fundraiser event on the 10th, featuring presentations and an exclusive preview of Jonathan Minard's Archive, a documentary about our dependence on digital memory.

WHEN
Thurs Jan 10
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
WHERE
Eyebeam Art & Technology Center
540 West 21st Street between 10th & 11th Avenues
PRICE
$25

Family Fun
Sustainable Science
nysciThis afternoon of workshops hosted by the New York Hall of Science is a great way to teach kids about sustainability. Projects include a community-generated time capsule, solar USB chargers, and inflatable art made from recycled materials.

WHEN
Sat Jan 12
12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
WHERE
New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street,
Queens
PRICE
Small materials fee

Sloth: Is Your City Making You Fat?
Connect
Science & the City Events
Lust and Love in the Animal Kingdom
Feb 12, 2013
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Sloth: Is Your City Making You Fat?
Mar 13, 2013
7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Envy: The Cutthroat Side of Science
Apr 30, 2013
7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Gluttony: Deconstructing Dinner
May 23, 2013
7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
 Buy Tickets
Podcasts

Wrath Goes Viral: Part 2

Wrath Goes Viral: Part 1

Dustyn's Robots

About the Science Education Initiative

Science & the City is a program of the nonprofit New York Academy of Sciences. Our mission is to increase public science literacy. We publish a comprehensive calendar of public science events in New York City, host events featuring top scientists in their fields, and produce a weekly podcast covering cutting-edge science.

 Support  Contact
Tamara Johnson

Tamara is the Calendar and Weekly Newsletter Editor at Science & the City. You can reach her at [log in to unmask].

You received this email because your Email Preferences indicate that you would like to receive the Science & the City Weekly.

To unsubscribe or to manage your email preferences, please click here
or send an email to [log in to unmask].

The New York Academy of Sciences
7 World Trade Center, 250 Greenwich St, 40th Fl
New York, NY 10007-2157
© 2012 The New York Academy of Sciences, All Rights Reserved.

To learn more about advertising in this enewsletter or
event sponsorship, click here.