Please see sections below highlighted in yellow.

Updates from FoodCorps: a nationwide team of leaders that connects kids to real food and helps them grow up healthy.

January 2013

Daniel and kids clip chives_BostonFoodCorps is growing!
It feels great to start a new year with so many exciting things brewing here at FoodCorps. Our service members have reached over 41,000 kids so far this school year , causing many of them to scream such things as "why aren't there MORE Brussels sprouts?" and "All hail kale!"

We are already making plans for the next school year, preparing for growth of all kinds. Pending funding, FoodCorps will be expanding into three new states: California, Hawai’i and New Jersey, bringing us to a total of 15 states in which FoodCorps serves. We are also looking to grow our corps of service members, and are laying the groundwork for even deeper training of our Fellows and FoodCorps members. You can read more about all of this on Civil Eats.

  Featured Project

  GennaCherichelloUsing Michael Pollan’s Omnivore’s Dilemma as an inspiration, Maine service member Genna Cherichello took burgers out of the fast food lane and into her kitchen classroom. On the Ecocentric blog, she shares with readers her “recipe” for broadening minds and strengthening community…all through the preparation of a re-fashioned, healthier, cheeseburger. Get the recipe here.

  News

  mlk2005_cncs

This MLK Day, FoodCorps service members around the country joined in an AmeriCorps tradition by taking “a day ON, instead of a day OFF.” On the Sunday night before, we all gathered for Sunday Suppers, coming together in dialogue and civic engagement while sharing a meal. On MLK Day, Fellows and service members coordinated volunteer projects in school and community gardens. You can read more about one of three volunteer days organized by FoodCorps North Carolina here.

The application to be a FoodCorps service member is open!

FoodCorps is recruiting new service members for the 2013-2014 school year. We are seeking up to 130 men and women to serve around the country. For inspiration, check out our new recruitment video. You can find everything you need to know about the recruitment process on our website. The application is open through March 24th. We are hosting a series of conference calls to answer any questions you may have about the process. The next one is Wednesday, February 13 at 2 pm PT / 5 pm ET. You can find out details about the calls here.

Kale in the classroom

The Cooking Light blog continues to share stories from our service members about the various ways they are getting kids to open their minds (and hearts) to new fruits and vegetables. Click here to read more about how Sarah, in Gaston County North Carolina, has introduced kale and sweet potatoes into her cafeteria via the Harvest of the Month program.

In This Issue

Burger makeover
MLK Day of Service
FoodCorps application

Kale in the classroom

  Stats Tracker

FC-statsGraphic-Jan242013

  Photo of the Month

IMG_1754

This young fella from Jackson, MS is going gaga for an extra large container of freshly harvested greens!

  Garden Tip

  HandsdirtFC tattoo"Use leaves as mulch for your beds! Gathering leaves is especially fun with the young ones if you let them play in the leaves first," says Maine service member Molly Sauvain.

KidsSayDarndest

  Volunteer Tip

Fellows027"Always ask," says Oregon FoodCorps Fellow Emily Ritchie. "The worst thing that will happen is you'll hear 'no.'" If you'd like to read more about Emily's Fellowship project, exploring how to get more regional seafood into Oregon school lunch, click here.

Friend on Facebook

Follow on Twitter

This email was sent to: [log in to unmask]

This email was sent by: FoodCorps
281 Park Avenue South, New York, NY, 10010,

We respect your right to privacy - view our policy

Update Profile and Subscription Preferences | Unsubscribe From All Emails