Internship position at the Harlem Children's Zone

In 2005, as a direct response to the public health crisis of obesity in our youth, HCZ created an effort called the Healthy Living Initiative (HLI) which encouraged our students and their families to incorporate healthy food choices and physical activity into their daily lives.  In the years since then, we have sought to deepen our work in this area, and have developed a strategic program model and growth plan and renamed this initiative Healthy Harlem, which consists of best practices in physical activity, nutrition education, and community support.

Like HLI, Healthy Harlem is designed to instill a culture of healthy living throughout the Zone, but is more expansive and strategically focused in the way we reach youth in our programs, their parents/care givers, and the community at-large.  Our three-pronged approach consists of Prevention, which serves the general youth population and their families; Treatment, which provides intensive support for overweight and obese youth and their parents/caregivers; and Medical Monitoring, which connects severely obese youth and their families to professional health care providers.

We are seeking part-time Health Educators to work at selected HCZ sites. They will work at a designated program location and will be part of a wellness team dedicated to improving nutrition and increasing physical activity for students at their respective site.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities

·       Conducts behavioral treatment sessions/groups for youth and parents;

·       Conduct health assessments to determine overall health status of overweight and obese youth

·       Provide a range of supportive and educational health services

·       Document student activities, participation, and services provided

·       Performs other duties as assigned

 Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements

·       Bachelor’s degree in Health or related field with 2-3 years of relevant work experience; experience working with youth is preferred

·       Must have experience conducting health assessments, facilitating group and individual counseling, and implementing health education workshops

·       Comfortable working in various urban settings and with diverse populations

·       Team-oriented with strong organizational and collaborative skills

·       Excellent communication skills, both oral and written

·       Must be available to work after-school hours and evenings

To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.  No telephone inquiries or recruiters please.  Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants.  HCZ is an EOE.

Interested candidates for the part-time health educator positions should forward resumes and cover letters to Alison Chustek, Program Coordinator for Healthy Harlem at the Harlem Children's Zone.  Her email address is [log in to unmask].