Join ONE - Supermarket Resources for RDs
What's New in February 2013

It's free. It's useful. What are you waiting for? Oldways invites you to sign up for a free account with the Oldways Nutrition Exchange. Every month we post themed "Toolkits" of educational and nutritional materials designed to help dietitians spread the word about healthy eating.

ONE Momentum Continues to Grow

We passed a milestone this month: our thousandth member signed up for ONE on Valentine's Day. In addition to even more supermarket dietitians, this month's new members include a farmers' market coordinator, a community health dietitian for a Native American tribe, and an educator at a secondary school in England, among many others. We love the diversity of this group - and also what they have in common: They all care about helping people make better choices in buying, preparing and enjoying their food. The Oldways Nutrition Exchange is here to help dietitians like you do just that.

NEW February Toolkits

Our two new February Toolkits are now posted and ready for your use, with a wealth of resources designed to help you immediately in your work. You'll be able to make downloads from any of our kits as soon as you sign up for a free ONE account.

Whole Grain Sampling Day (February 2013)

The first Wednesday in April - April 3 this year - is Whole Grain Sampling Day. It's the perfect time for supermarkets to offer specials on whole grains, to hold nutrition classes, store tours, or in-store cooking demos. We have all the tools you need, however you plan to celebrate. And of course, it's okay to use these resources the other 364 days of the year too!

Fabulous from the Freezer (February 2013)

Making wise use of the household freezer can be an important step toward healthier, affordable eating. In fact, frozen food can be even more nutritious than fresh food in some cases, and, because it's always on hand, frozen food can cut down on waste. The resources in this kit help everyone understand the benefits of frozen foods.

Seven Previous Toolkits Still Available to You

Our Supermarket Toolkits stay posted for a full twelve months. Here are just some of our most recent kits that you may want to check out, if you haven't already explored them. Make sure to visit the Access ONE Toolkits page whenever you need resources - we've probably got what you need.

Heart Healthy (January 2013)
Heart health is important year round, so we've put together resources on fish, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, soy and nuts - foods known for their heart healthiness.

African Heritage and Health (January 2013)  The true culinary heritage of African Americans is full of savory flavors and naturally healthy features. Learn more and connect to other Oldways resources here.

Super Bowl Snacks (December 2012)

Long after the Super Bowl has come and gone this kit helps stores promote snacks that score big on fun and flavor, without putting a penalty on shoppers' waistlines.

Delicious Eating on a Budget (December 2012)
Many people assume that healthy eating has to be expensive. That's not the case at all! This Toolkit highlights scores of ways to save, without giving up healthy, delicious foods.

Gluten Free (November 2012)
Our GF Toolkit separates fact from fiction, with resources to help shoppers with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity understand and shop for gluten free foods.

"Do you have higher resolution graphics?"

Our ONE PDFs are designed so you can easily "harvest" and reuse the information for your blogs, newsletters and websites, simply by copying and pasting. If you're using our information in print, though, you may need a higher resolution image than that in the PDF. Email Cynthia Harriman and we'll help you out. In many cases, a higher resolution image is available.

Log In and Access Toolkits

Click on the links above to access these Toolkits, or simply visit the main ONE page at http://www.oldwayspt.org/programs/oldways-nutrition-exchange. Even non-members can browse; once you've signed up for a free ONE account you can also download resources. No bothersome passwords to remember --  all you need is the email address you used when you signed up, and a single log-in lasts multiple visits. Please urge your friends and colleagues to sign up, too!

We'll write again next month to announce our March ONE Toolkit topics. In the meantime, we hope you'll join ONE. Email Cynthia Harriman with any questions.

Best regards,

Cynthia Harriman

Director of Food and Nutrition Strategies

Oldways / The Whole Grains Council

Oldways | 266 Beacon Street | Boston | MA | 02116