News from FoodCorps: connecting kids to real food and helping them grow up healthy.  Subscribe to this newsletter if the work of FoodCorps interests you. Or become a FoodCorps device member...
February 2013
Laughing in the garden
Every day in the classroom, the garden, and the cafeteria, service members help kids learn about more than nutrition; they learn about themselves, their heritage, and their local environment.  Sometimes the kids are so busy enjoying pulling collard greens from the dirt or trying the delicious new tepary beans that they don't even realize it's happening!

This month we feature several stories about connecting kids to their cultural heritage through discovery and exploration of food. As FoodCorps Fellow Robyn Wardell explains, "eating food sustains more than just our physical bodies. When we eat together, we strengthen community and help to celebrate and preserve culture."

  Featured Project

  WhitneySmithWhitney Smith, serving with the Detroit Black Community Food Security Network, has focused this year on connecting her students with their African heritage through celebrating food and food traditions. In this interview on Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution blog , Whitney and the Michigan FoodCorps Fellow Robyn Wardell discuss how eating food sustains more than just our physical bodies.

  News

  GilbertIvinsGilbert Ivins is the service member in his home community of Cibecue, Arizona on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation.  Through his service, using food as the vehicle, he is reconnecting kids on the reservation with their ancestral heritage. Kathleen, the FoodCorps Fellow in Arizona, interviewed Gilbert about his service for the Slow Food USA blog. You can read that interview here.

Become a FoodCorps Service Member!

Applications to be a FoodCorps service member are still open through March 24th at midnight. You can read all about the application process on our website. In addition, you can join our final open conference call to have any questions answered. It will be on Tuesday March 12th at 2 pm PT / 5 pm ET. Call (626) 677-3000, and use access code: 7904113#. Watch our recruiting video (full of cute children) here.

In This Issue

Connecting with African culture
Ancestral roots on the Reservation
FoodCorps recruitment
Saving Seeds

  Stats Tracker

FC-statsGraphic-Feb132013

  Photo of the Month

Radishes make her laugh
Middle schooler Jasmine, in Boston, finds radishes HILARIOUS. Delicious, too!

  Garden Tip

Katie grinning and holding seedlings"Kids can grow pea shoots in a sunny windowsill. They make a great, crunchy winter snack!" -Katie Morabito, service member with FoodCorps Maine
Newsletter Kids Say_squash

  Volunteer Tip

armimage1"Overplan, rather than underplan; volunteers like to be busy." -Anne McHale, service member with FoodCorps Montana. You can read her recent blog post here.

This email was sent by: FoodCorps
281 Park Avenue South, New York, NY, 10010,

We respect your right to privacy - view our policy