Some first reactions to the ban on the SSB size cap ruling...

CSPI's response to the New York City soda size cap ruling is here: http://cspinet.org/new/201303111.html

Statement of CSPI Executive Director Michael F. Jacobson, March 11, 2013

I wouldn't count out<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323826704578354543929974394.html> Mayor Bloomberg and the New York City Health Department quite yet.

When the city became the first to require calorie counts on chain restaurant menus, the industry similarly tried to use the courts to stop that measure from taking effect. Ultimately, the city prevailed<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/nyregion/18calorie.html?ref=nyregion>, paving the way for other jurisdictions, and eventually Congress, to pass similar calorie labeling measures.

We are confident that the city will prevail here. Many years hence, people will look back and think it was crazy for sugar drinks to ever be served in 32- and 64-ounce pails<http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/combined_infographic.pdf>.

And here is the NYC Statement -- from Michael A. Cardozo, Corporation Counsel, NYC Law Department:

"We plan to appeal the decision as soon as possible, and we are confident the Board of Health’s decision will ultimately be upheld. This measure is part of the City’s multi-pronged effort to combat the growing obesity epidemic, which takes the lives of more than 5,000 New Yorkers every year, and we believe the Board of Health has the legal authority – and responsibility – to tackle its leading causes.”

Margo G. Wootan, D.Sc.
Director, Nutrition Policy
Center for Science in the Public Interest
1220 L Street, NW, Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20005
202-777-8354
202-265-4954 (fax)
www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy<http://www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy>

Make your voice heard on important health and nutrition issues! Join CSPI's online action network at my.cspinet.org<http://my.cspinet.org>.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the NFS-L List, please send an E-mail to:
"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF NFS-L".