This article just in from Prof. Frank Mirer, our official scout for nutrition-related articles in JAMA and the N Eng J Med.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1555137     Jan 2, 2013, Vol.  309, No. 1

Authors’ conclusion
"Our findings are consistent with observations of lower mortality among overweight and moderately obese patients. 116- 119 Possible explanations have included earlier presentation of heavier patients, 120 greater likelihood of receiving optimal medical treatment, 121- 123 cardioprotective metabolic effects of increased body fat, 124- 125 and benefits of higher metabolic reserves. 118    The results presented herein provide little support for the suggestion 126 that smoking and preexisting illness are important causes of bias."

Dr. Mirer’s observation
Overweight lives longer than normal weight, and way longer than underweight. Underweight is really the BMI associated with famous actresses and other media ideals, I haven't checked male actors.  Of course, living longer is associated with increased pension costs to social security and other defined benefit plans, medicare and to employers with retiree health insurance.