To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
http://hunter.listserv.cuny.edu/ScriptsHC/wa-HC.exe?A2=PREMEDINFO-L;e6765d5d.1304p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo Pre-Health Action!
A Newsletter that provides updates to Pre-Health students at Hunter.

In this Newsletter:

Committee Letters
| Upcoming Events Sponsored by the Pre-Health Advising Office | Events on the Hunter Campus | Off Campus Events | Special Opportunities/Internships | Subscription Details

Committee Letters
(Back to Top)

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/prehealth/committee-letters

Committee Letters

The PRIORITY deadline for the Committee Letter Application was March 15. The FINAL deadline is June 10. Please visit the website for more information.
We do not review personal statements for the Committee Letter application. The purpose of the application is for us to review your first draft.

We just started to review committee letter applications. If you submitted by March 15th you will be hearing about your status by the end of April. Please do not e-mail the Pre-Health Office asking for an update. We receive many, many applications for committee letters and we will process them in the order they are received and as quickly as time allows.
Once submitted you will be contacted by the Pre-Health Office. There is no specific timeline set but beginning in May you will likely be contacted in 2-3 weeks from time of submission.
For more information about the MCAT please view the document located here: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/prehealth/repository/files/FromTheDirectorsDesk_MCAT_Timing_KP31.30.12.pdf

Upcoming Events Sponsored by the Pre-Health Advising Office (Back to Top)

Osteopathic Medical School 101
Wednesday, April 24, 1-3pm
1036 North
Pre-Health Advisor, Taryn Weinstein will be providing general information about Osteopathic Medical school application and admissions.

Campus Visit to Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine
Monday, May 6th, 2013 at 1pm
Travel information may be found here: http://www.hofstra.edu/visitors/visitors_info_shuttle.html

If you are interested in attending an information program and tour of the Hofstra medical campus please RSVP to Taryn at [log in to unmask] by April 30th.
We will meet at the campus - you are responsible for your own transportation. More details (such as exact location) will be sent out as this event gets closer.

Events on the Hunter Campus (Back to Top)

These events are not sponsored by the Pre-Health Advising Office but may be of interest to students interested in careers in healthcare.

MCAT/DAT PANEL
Fri. 4/26 3-5pm
TH 112

The Pre-health Organization is hosting an MCAT/DAT PANEL and DISCUSSION- in the club room TH112. A few of us who have studied for and taken the MCAT or DAT will be talking about our experiences and answering any questions you may have. Please come to this event - open to anyone interested in taking either of these two exams. Sandwiches will be served.

MACHO'S SECOND ANNUAL GALA
Faculty Dining Hall, Hunter College, West Building, 8th Floor
East 68th Street and Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10021
Thursday May 2nd
6:00pm - 9:00pm

Come celebrate our collective achievements and honor our outstanding volunteers and participants. The evening soiree, themed "Spring Into Action", will feature passed hors d'oeuvres (courtesy ofRed Rabbit), dinner (courtesy of Rosa Mexicano), dessert (courtesy of Bomboloni), wine and beer, a silent auction, live music and more. The ticket prices arestudent/volunteer: $40, faculty: $75,professional/non-faculty: $125.

RSVP here

Off Campus Events (Back to Top)

Please do not contact the Pre-Health Advising Office with questions about Off Campus Events. Use the contact information provided.

Stony Brook - ASDA Impressions Day

Are you interested in a career in Dentistry? Do you ever wonder what being a dental student entails? Want to learn more about the application process?
If you answered yes to any of these questions (or have any of your own), then you should come join us for Stony Brook Dental School's second annual ASDA Impressions Day!

This is a full day event filled with great activities such as...

- Q and A session with dental students from all four years
- Find out about scholarship opportunities through NAVY
- A chance to win a FREE Kaplan DAT prep course
- Lectures from Stony Brook Dental School's faculty members
- A chance to learn how to take and pour impressions that you will get to take home with you!
- Breakfast and lunch with dental students

For more information, including directions to Stony Brook Dental School and the application to sign up, go to...

http://www.stonybrookasda.com/ ... and click on the link to Impressions Day 2013!
If you have any further questions feel free to send an email to [log in to unmask]

Special Opportunities/Internships (Back to Top)

Please use the contact information provided and remember to be professional in all written and verbal communication.

The Infection Prevention and Control department at NYU Langone Medical Center

The Infection Prevention and Control department at NYU Langone Medical Center is looking for a bright and highly motivated person who is interested in health to work as a data assistant on a project to assist with infection control projects. Knowledge of Excel and/or SPSS is a plus, but not required (they will train). If you are interested, contact Anna Stachel at [log in to unmask]"

Stony Brook Dental School DDS Summer Program

Are you interested in a career in dentistry? Do you want hands on experience to see what dental school is like? Discover Dental School (DDS) is Stony Brook Dental School's week long summer program that gives you a taste of dental school. Over the week long program, you will be gaining invaluable experience that will help prepare you for dental school.

Activities include:

- Using a dental hand piece and instruments to complete cavity preparations
- Learn how to complete a thorough head and neck examination
- Take impressions
- Get acquainted with the dental clinic
- Designing CEREC CAD/CAM restorations
- Waxing teeth
- Mock admissions interview
- Become familiar with dental specialties through an interactive rotation
- Fun activities every night including bowling, movie night, Go-Karting and a farewell dinner

Additionally, Stony Brook faculty and current dental students will assist you and ensure that this will be an invaluable experience.

If you are interested, please visit (http://dentistry.stonybrookmedicine.edu/dental/student/discover) for additional information and register today! Registration deadline is May 1.

Volunteer with the Muscular Dystrophy Association
The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) is in search of fun and enthusiastic volunteer summer camp counselors. The MDA’s 2013 summer camp will be held August 10-16, 2013 at Camp De Wolfe in Wading River, NY. Must be 18 years or older. This is a great opportunity for students interested in Physical Therapy.
Each counselor is assigned to serve as a companion for a camper who’s affected by a neuromuscular disease. Counselors help their campers with daily activities such as feeding, bathing, dressing, and in recreational activities such as arts, crafts, bowling, swimming and fishing.
To obtain a volunteer application or learn about other ways to support MDA’s summer camp program, please contact:
Sophie Rivera: [log in to unmask] or Connie Zayas: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 212-682-5272

7th annual UNLV Dental student Simulation Course

May 31-June 1, and June 14-15 are the planned dates for this two day hands on, highly interactive course which allows pre-dental students to get a firsthand view into what it is like to be a dental student at UNLV School of Dental Medicine.

Registration begins April 9th for in-state students, and April 16th for out-of-State students

See the attached flyer or the ADEA website: http://www.unlvadea.org/ for more information and registration.

Physician Assistant Virtual Fair - Featuring PAEA & CASPA Programs
Dates: April 24-25, 2013
Looking for a Physician Assistant Program?
Virtually Interact with Schools & Save Valuable Time.
All students interested in Physician Assistant programs are invited to attend this unique and FREE virtual event where you can meet School Representatives conveniently and efficiently!
For more information and to register please go here: http://caspa.careereco.net/students-alumni/virtual-fair-registration/

The University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine
Online Summer Courses for Pre-Veterinary Students
Offering a few exciting online courses in the upcoming Summer and Fall semesters that are specifically geared towards students interested in Veterinary Medicine
Summer classes (2013)

The Dog is an online course (3 credits) specifically designed for undergraduate students interested in learning more about dogs, especially those planning careers in Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Technical Programs. For more information about the class or enrollment, contact Dr. Patrick Larkin ([log in to unmask]). **this class will also be taught in the Fall semester

Aquatic Wildlife Health Issues is an online course (3 credits) designed to introduce students (upper level undergraduate and graduate) and professionals (with an AA or higher degree) to the natural history, anatomy, physiology, behavior and common health issues of aquatic species: whales and dolphins, seals and sea lions, manatees, sea turtles, crocodilians, fish and invertebrates. For more information about the class or enrollment, contact Jeffrey Hendel ([log in to unmask]).

Manatee Health and Conservation is an online course (3 credits) that will provide students (upper level undergraduate and graduate) and professionals (with an AA or higher degree) with a detailed overview of manatee natural history, health assessment, and research findings as well as explore conservation issues. For more information about the class or enrollment, contact Jeffrey Hendel ([log in to unmask]).

Fall class (2013)
Aquatic Animal Conservation Issues is an online course (3 credits) designed to introduce students (upper level undergraduate and graduate) and professionals (with an AA or higher degree) to the controversial issues surrounding aquatic animal species ranging from invertebrates to marine mammals, with an emphasis on marine mammals, but also including sea turtles, fisheries, and marine ecosystems. For more information about the class or enrollment, contact Jeffrey Hendel ([log in to unmask]).

If you are interested in taking one of the classes, registration is now open for Summer and Fall terms (2013).

You are subscribed to Pre-Health Action!. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU/ScriptsHC/wa-HC.exe?SUBED1=PREMEDINFO-L&A=1

12th Floor East Building

www.hunter.cuny.edu/prehealth