After the newsletter was sent out yesterday we received some additional opportunities- they are below.

Just a reminder that the Pre-Vet event is TOMORROW- Friday, May 10 at 6pm in Hunter West 204.

Medicare Rights Center Volunteer

A national not-for-profit organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities. We do much of our work through a volunteer-based national Helpline, which provides counseling and assistance to Medicare beneficiaries, caregivers, and professionals throughout the country.

Application deadline for this round of training is Friday, May 17.

You can also read more about our volunteer opportunities here: http://medicarerights.org/volunteers/

Einstein Community Health Outreach (ECHO) is recruiting summer volunteers for 2013

Located in the South Bronx, ECHO is the first student-organized clinic in the New York metropolitan area, serving patients from the five Boroughs and parts of Westchester County. Our mission is to provide free primary care for people who lack health insurance or cannot afford insurance and healthcare. Run by the medical students of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, ECHO provides routine medical exams, social services, and counseling, as well as referral services to physicians associated with the Institute for Urban Family Health (IUFH), Montefiore Hospital (Einstein affiliate), and Lincoln Hospital. During the school year, ECHO is staffed by pre-medical and pre-health students on the administrative side. Your work includes patient registration, health education, translation, research, and clinical shadowing. Our Saturdays begin when we meet at the clinic at 8:15 a.m. We open at 8:30 a.m. and register patients until noon. The day’s work is generally completed by 3 or 4 p.m. depending on the number of volunteers and the volume of patients.

The application and health forms can be found on their website: http://www.einstein.yu.edu/students/clubs/echo/volunteer/premed-students.aspx

Your health forms MUST be completed and returned with your application in order to be considered (This includes a blood test/titer showing immunity to MMR and Varicella, a PPD test, and proof of tetanus immunization). You are not required to receive Hepatitis B vaccination or titers.

In addition, include a passport-sized photo with your completed forms or email it to [log in to unmask] If there are any problems regarding the health forms (i.e. with insurance, payment for tests, submitting by deadline), do not hesitate to contact [log in to unmask] or email Kim Ashayeri, the Project Director at [log in to unmask]

Please visit www.echo-clinic.org to learn more.

SUNY College of Optometry’s Open House

for students considering a career in Optometry on Thursday, May30th, 2013, from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. This is a great opportunity for your students to interact with faculty, students and staff, and learn more about the profession of optometry, our College, including our curriculum, financial aid, our students’ experiences, the admissions process, living in New York City, and get answers to any questions they might have. Students must RSVP with number of guests (limit of 2) no later than Tuesday, May 28th, 2013, by email [log in to unmask] www.sunyopt.edu/explore

Academic Associate program at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center

The Academic Associate program is a volunteer clinical research assistant program in the Emergency Department of the St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center. The primary responsibility of academic associates is to assist ongoing research projects being conducted in the department in an effort to improve emergency care, bring greater precision to the practice of emergency medicine (EM), and improve the quality of care.

Academic associates gain invaluable experience conducting hands-on clinical research and exposure to daily life in the Emergency Department. Moreover, the program offers many exciting benefits:

·  One-on-one shadowing with a resident in training

·  Focused talks and demonstrations, including medical techniques like suturing, casting, and ultrasound

·  Opportunities to observe EMS teams on ambulance rides

·  Ability to submit original research proposals for future studies conducted at the hospital

Commitment:

We ask for 2 four-hour shifts per week from each AA and also request your attendance at biweekly evening training sessions per semester.   Please carefully review the "commitment" section on our website.  You are responsible for knowing and following our policies for attending shifts, training sessions, and orientations.

Contact:

AA Staff: [log in to unmask]

Website: www.slred.org/aap