From: "Speaker Christine C. Quinn" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: June 18, 2013, 10:37:53 AM EDT
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Help Protect NYers from Devastating Food Stamp Cuts

Dear New Yorker,

As you may know, Congress is currently debating a new Farm Bill, which will determine the country's agriculture and nutrition policy for the next five years.

While there are many important issues being discussed as part of the new bill, one of the most pressing concerns is the potential cut to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) program, formerly known as food stamps.

At a time when hunger remains a persistent and growing problem in many of our communities, SNAP provides a critical safety net for nearly one in every five New Yorkers, helping families put food on the table while giving children the chance to receive a balanced diet.  It also helps to stimulate our local economy, as every $1 in benefits generates $1.80 in economic activity that supports our neighborhood supermarkets, corner stores, and farmers' markets.

Yet, despite these high levels of need and the benefits that SNAP provide to families across the city, state and country, the Senate proposal to cut $4.1 billion from the program was approved last week, and this week the House is set to start debating plans to cut $20 billion.  If included in the final Farm Bill, these cuts will have a devastating impact on New York City residents, forcing them to rely on emergency food programs that are already stretched beyond the capacity.  The Senate's cuts alone would lead to a $90-$130 loss in benefits.

In April, 48 Council Members wrote to Congress and the New York State delegation, telling them that funding for SNAP is vital, and should be increased – not slashed.

Now we need your help convincing Congress not to cut this vital program.

If, like us, you believe SNAP cuts would be incredibly damaging to the health and wellbeing of New York City residents, please visit www.lostmeals.org<http://www.lostmeals.org> and let your legislators know how you feel.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Christine C. Quinn

Speaker

NYC Council

Annabel Palma

Chair, General Welfare Committee

NYC Council

If you wish to unsubscribe from the NFS-L List, please send an E-mail to:
"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF NFS-L".