Reach the Decision Makers applications for the 2013-2014 fellowship are due on Friday, August 9, 2013.  Apply today!

Are you a scientist, community-based leader, public health or health care professional with experience in environmental or reproductive health? You should consider joining the Reach the Decision Makers training program!

Through Reach the Decision Makers you will:

  • Learn to educate the US Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) on reproductive environmental health issues of importance to you and/or your community.
  • Develop the skills and tools necessary to effectively engage US EPA policy makers.
  • Begin to establish relationships and partnerships with US EPA staff.

·       Become a powerful communicator on environmental and reproductive health science.

To learn more and apply, go to http://prhe.ucsf.edu/prhe/REACH.html, download an application and submit it to [log in to unmask].

Here’s a quick FAQ about the program based on questions that have come up from applicants.  Email Jason Harless at [log in to unmask] if you have additional questions.

Reach the Decision Makers FAQ

Q: What is the time commitment for participating in the Reach the Decision Makers fellowship?

A: Time commitment varies based on a variety of factors, including what project the team chooses, how much work the project will require, and what communications arrangements your team creates.  All fellows are required to attend the 2-day in-person meeting in Washington, DC on October 8-9, 2013. In general, however, you’ll want to allow yourself 1-2 hours per week for emailing and connecting with your team as well as additional work each team member takes on.  On weeks that include webinars (roughly one per month), you’ll need to schedule time for the 2-hour training webinar, plus 15-30 minutes to complete the evaluation, in addition to time connecting with your team.  Your team might need to schedule more time in the days/weeks leading up to the team practicum meeting at the US EPA.

Q: What’s the cost of being in the program?

A: Out-of-pocket expenses should be minimal.  A grant from the Kresge Foundation will reimburse fellows for both trips to Washington, DC, including airfare, hotel, ground transportation and food up to a reasonable amount.  Each fellow receives a $500 stipend at the end of the fellowship that is intended to reimburse any out-of-pocket expenses.

Q: What level of experience and what degrees are required to participate in the program?

A: We find that fellows benefit from working in teams that are composed of members with varying backgrounds and levels of experience.  No special degrees are required to participate; however, professional diversity will be a consideration during the selection process.  The program does accept applications from current students who are pursuing Masters and Doctorate degrees.

Q: Will you accept applications from only U.S. citizens or can people from other countries apply?

A: Reach the Decision Makers is a training fellowship that focuses on interacting with the US EPA.  This program wouldn’t be beneficial to citizens of other countries, with the exception of Canada and Mexico.  Because Canada and Mexico work closely with the US EPA to address issues that aren’t bound to a geographic location (for example air and water), we will accept applications from residents of either of those countries provided the applicant clearly identifies the opportunity for work with the USEPA.

Q: I’m applying with a team.  Do we need to include all of our information on one application or should we each fill out individual applications?

A: Each team member should fill out an individual application.  In their applications, they should indicate they are applying as a pre-formed team. Team members should also include the name and email address of a contact person for the team’s application.