·       Feeding the Planet: An Evening with Alan Weisman

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 | 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
The New York Academy of Sciences

Presented by Science & the City and The Sackler Institute for Nutrition Sciences

Register Now

o   Description

How can we feed a rapidly growing population? Can technological innovations like the lab-grown burger actually help us avert disaster? Is it possible to understand—much less manage—the competing needs of complex systems like food supply chains? In his latest book, Countdown: Our Last, Best Hope for a Future on Earth, author Alan Weisman considers whether and how humans can sustainably thrive on Earth without crashing the global ecosystem. Traveling extensively to gather insights from a variety of cultural perspectives, Weisman pursues the concept of a future balance between us and the world.

Weisman is the author of several books, including the acclaimed The World Without Us. His work has been selected for many anthologies, including Best American Science Writing. An award-winning journalist, his reports have appeared in Harper's, The New York Times Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, Discover, Vanity Fair, Wilson Quarterly, Mother Jones, and Orion, and on NPR.

Reception and book-signing to follow.

Registration Pricing

Member

$15

Student/Postdoc Member

$15

Nonmember

$25

Nonmember (Student / Postdoc / Resident / Fellow)

$20

Our Location

The New York Academy of Sciences

7 World Trade Center
250 Greenwich Street, 40th floor
New York, NY 10007-2157
212.298.8600

Directions to the Academy

Browse NYAS.org for information in your field of interest.

o   Life Sciences & Biomedical Research

§  Behavioral Sciences

§  Biochemistry, Biophysics & Structural Biology

§  Biotechnology

§  Cell & Molecular Biology

§  Clinical Medicine

§  Computational Biology

§  Developmental Biology

§  Drug Development

§  Evolutionary Biology

§  Genetics & Genomics

§  Neuroscience

§  Microbiology, Immunology & Infectious Diseases

§  Physiology

§  Public Health & Epidemiology

§  Translational Research & Medicine

o   Physical Sciences & Engineering

§  Chemistry & Chemical Engineering

§  Civil Engineering

§  Computer Science

§  Materials Science

§  Mathematics

§  Nanotechnology

§  Physics

o   Environmental Sciences & Sustainability

§  Climate Change

§  Energy

§  Environmental Policy

§  Green Buildings

§  Transportation & Infrastructure

§  Urban Sustainability

§  Water

o   Social Sciences

§  Anthropology

§  Economics

§  Psychology

o   Science, Society & Culture

§  Art & Science

§  Bioethics

§  History & Philosophy of Science

§  Science Policy

o   Career Development

o   Science Education

o   Nutrition Science

·

·       About Science & the City

About Science & the City

Science & the City is the public gateway to the New York Academy of Sciences. We publish a comprehensive calendar of public science events in New York City, host events featuring top scientists in their fields, and produce a weekly podcast covering cutting-edge science.

·

·

Arlene Spark, EdD, RD, FADA, FACN

Professor

MPH and DPH Advisor

CUNY School of Public Health

Hunter College and The CUNY Graduate Center

2180 Third Avenue (room 609)

The MPH in Public Health Nutrition at Hunter

The DPH at the Graduate Center  NB: nutrition specialization
NFS-L (nutrition) listserv -  subscribe or unsubscribe