Dear MPH students and alumni:

Have you considered pursuing a doctorate in public health? I am writing to invite you to an Information Session for the City University of New York Doctor of Public Health (DPH) Program of the CUNY School of Public Health, which is taking place on Tuesday, October 8th in the 9th floor Skylight Room at the CUNY Graduate Center (365 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street).

The CUNY DPH program at the CUNY School of Public Health offers four specialization tracks in the areas of Community, Society and Health; Epidemiology; Environmental and Occupational Health; and Health Policy and Management. Within each of these tracks, we also offer optional concentrations in Public Health Nutrition and Maternal, Child, Reproductive and Sexual Health. Our rapidly growing program currently includes over 120 full- and part-time students pursuing the DPH degree. Students with an MPH or an equivalent Masters degree, or some other graduate degree such as an MD or JD are eligible to enter the program after they have acquired three or more years of professional experience in public health or a related discipline. The CUNY DPH Program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).

With more than 60 faculty, the CUNY DPH program provides an academically rigorous theory and methods-based curriculum. Our faculty includes internationally recognized thought leaders and accomplished researchers, recognized for their intellectual contributions to the field of public health. They have strong publication records in leading public health journals, with diverse and active research portfolios that are based in domestic and international settings.

Our learning environment is further enriched by the many seasoned professionals in our student body actively engaged leaders in local and international public health practice.

With these assets, the CUNY DPH Program aims to:

       Prepare public health researchers to rigorously generate and apply scientific evidence to improve the health of populations;

       Provide an interdisciplinary education in which graduates are capable of drawing on health-related theory and knowledge from multiple disciplines;

       Foster multilevel research and intervention – i.e., understanding and addressing public health issues at the individual, household, community, and policy levels;

       Pay special attention to new and existing linkages between research, practice and policy with relevance to public health.

The CUNY DPH program prepares graduates for fulfilling and meaningful careers as researchers and leaders in public health. We produce graduates who go on to conduct rigorous and impactful public health research. Our placement within the environment of the young and dynamic CUNY School of Public Health allows us to innovate and implement new paradigms of doctoral level training. Set within CUNY, the largest urban public university in the country, our students and faculty draw on expertise and research opportunities across a wide range of disciplines that influence public health such as urban planning, nursing, sociology, psychology, economics, policy, and law.

I hope you will explore our website in more detail, and RSVP for our next information session, and contact us at [log in to unmask] with any questions you may have. The deadline for applications for next Fall is December 15th, 2013.

Sincerely,

Denis Nash, PhD, MPH

Executive Officer, Doctor of Public Health Program

Professor, Epidemiology and Biostatistics Program

CUNY School of Public Health

To unsubscribe from the COMHEALUMNI-L list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(COMHEALUMNI-L,SIGNOFF);