The League of Kitchens http://www.leagueofkitchens.com/ is an immersive culinary adventure in NYC where immigrants teach intimate cooking workshops in their homes, and participants encounter a new culture, cuisine, and neighborhood with every experience.

This participatory learning / cooking / eating / sharing experience starts with an interactive cooking lesson and leads into a celebratory dinner. Each experience will offer opportunities for meaningful connection and social interaction, cultural engagement and exchange, culinary learning and discovery, and exceptional eating and drinking.  Through this experience, we seek to build cross-cultural connection and understanding, increase access to traditional cooking knowledge, and provide meaningful, well-paid employment and training for immigrants.

We're looking for a part-time Communications Fellow to help us to tell the stories of our amazing immigrant instructors, and to help us spread the word about this innovative new social enterprise.

Public workshops will launch this winter. We're now in the process of hiring and training instructors, putting together menus and curricula, writing and testing recipes, and generally building pre-launch buzz and excitement.

We're looking for a smart, big-hearted, creative, self-directed, and passionate individual to help us build this exciting new social enterprise.

We promise that you'll have lots of opportunities to learn and grow, to meet amazing people, to build your network, to cook/eat incredible food, and to contribute in meaningful and substantive ways.

And as this is a very small operation, you will also be able to shape this role to your interests and to get involved in any other areas of the business that interest you.

Role and Responsibilities:

*             Create engaging and creative content for all our social networking/social media/communications efforts (our fb, twitter, blog, newsletter, instagram, and google plus).
*             Manage all social networking/social media conversation and relationships.
*             Collect and analyze social analytics.
*             Help create an effective, overarching social media/communication strategy.
*             Attend and document many of the instructors' practice workshops.
*             Interview each instructor and help construct their bios.
*             Research press outlets and help draft outreach emails and suggested social media text.
*             Help us put together our media kit.

Who are we looking for?

*         You have a passion for food, cooking, and learning about different cultures. You're an omniverous and adventurous eater.  You're excited to try everything.

*         You're excited about using food and cooking as a way to build cross-cultural connection and understanding, and you're passionate about promoting the contributions that immigrants make to our culture and society.

*         You have a strong understanding of all the major social media platforms and how to use them in different, strategic ways.

*         You're deeply immersed in food media--your read all the food magazines, check in with lots of blogs, and you already follow tons of food publications, food writers, and tastemakers on twitter.

*         You're a natural storyteller.  You have a knack for telling compelling and engaging stories, ideally across different media (writing, photo, video).

*         You have excellent written and verbal skills.  You know how to shape your writing to fit the platform and the audience.

*         You connect easily with people from different backgrounds and cultures.

*         You are passionate about using social media to build an engaged community and to spark dynamic conversations.

*         You're super organized, dependable, thorough, and detail-oriented.

*         You're self-directed and self-motivated.  You're as happy working on your own as you are collaborating with others. You take initiative and go the extra mile.  You're good at prioritizing and organizing workflow, and juggling multiple tasks.  You're always trying to find ways to improve your work and your process.

*         You're flexible and adaptive and have a great sense of humor.

*         Public relations experience a plus.

Fellowship length: 4-6 months (To start ASAP.)

Hours:  ~10-20 hours/week.  Must be available to attend practice workshops on the weekends from 1-6:30.  Some availability on some weekdays during business hours preferred.  Must be in NYC around the holidays and able to work on those days (not on the holidays themselves).

Stipend: $200/month

Location: Flexible/Shifting. (But applicant must be based in the NYC area.)

To apply, please send a cover letter, a resume, and a writing sample (or a link to a writing portfolio/blog) to Lisa Gross, League of Kitchens Founder/CEO, at [log in to unmask]

Arlene Spark, EdD, RD, FADA, FACN
Professor of Nutrition
CUNY School of Public Health
Hunter College & The CUNY Graduate Center
Subscribe to or unsubscribe from our listserv, NFS-L: