From: tfs-friends [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:13 PM
To: Arlene Spark
Subject: [tfs-friends] Free online course on U.S. Food System offered by CLF

We thought you might be interested in this free, online course offered by the faculty of the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future. The course provides perspectives on many of the topics covered in the Teaching the Food System curriculum.

An Introduction to the U.S. Food System: Perspectives from Public Health
Explore how food intersects with public health and the environment as it moves from field to plate

Begins: Monday, January 27, 2014
Duration: Six weeks
Cost: Free
Enroll: https://www.coursera.org/course/foodsys

About the Course

A food system encompasses the activities, people and resources involved in getting food from field to plate. Along the way, it intersects with aspects of public health, equity and the environment. In this course, we will provide a brief introduction to the U.S. food system and how food production practices and what we choose to eat impacts the world in which we live. Through several case studies, we will discuss some key historical and political factors that have helped shape the current food system and consider alternative approaches from farm to fork. The course will be led by a team of faculty and staff from the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future. Guest lecturers will include experts from a variety of disciplines, including public health and agriculture.