Online, an entire issue devoted to our favorite subject...

-----------

New Special Issue of Johns Hopkins Public Health Magazine
Johns Hopkins Public Health magazine - Spring 2013
Special Issue 2014                 The Magazine of the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health

  Johns Hopkins Public Health Online:
The Food Issue

Welcome to the Food Issue! You’ll discover who eats what and how much; how food is grown, harvested, processed and packaged; and how all this affects human health. From micronutrients to the global food system, see how researchers and practitioners investigate the science of food and serve up solutions for public health issues that range from famine and factory farming to folate intake.

FARM
Paradise Lost
One farmer’s fight for clean air, clean water and healthy food.

Beyond Protein Factories
Our taste for cheap animal protein has hurt our environment and health.

Twilight of Antibiotics
Indiscriminate use of medicine in feed may lead us into a post-penicillin age.

Planting Health
With garden projects, public health rekindles humanity’s need for seed.

Plus
Water farming, amazing maize and the dangers of growing food in city soil.

FORK
After the Famine
How a $5 gift in 1972 changed my life—and others’ lives as well.

The Himalayas’ Hidden Hunger
Nepal is a nation of farmers and undernourished children. Can a novel study save its next generation?

A Consuming Controversy
Is it bad to ingest a few hormone-tickling chemicals like BPA?

Rx for the Future
David Paige’s idea for “prescribing appropriate foods” in 1969 now helps half of all U.S. infants.

Plus
Folate, flies and SNAP.

FURTHER
No Fries With That
My transformation from fatty and fried to lean and green.

Food in the Desert
In a city where the deep-fryer is king, what does it take to sell yogurt, salad and wraps?

Anatomy of a Famine
Why did 250,000 Somalis die in 2010 and 2011?

Free Range Talk
CLF experts dish on the future of food.

Plus
Caffeinated waffles, Meatless Mondays and obese children.

ONLINE EXTRAS
In this photo gallery, international photographer Shehzad Noorani shares some of his mesmerizing images that capture our diverse relationship with food—from Nepal to Malawi.

FOUR BIG ISSUES
We want to know about food as a right, food allergies, GMOs and cheap food.

OPEN MIKE
The Green Revolution saved a billion lives. Now, we need another one.

DEPARTMENTS
AfterWords
Letters To the Editor
Just Desserts

Read More: magazine.jhsph.edu
Email us: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

cover
button

horizontal rule

Rising To the Challenge ad

JHPSH logo

JHSPH Home  |  Magazine  |  Subscriptions  |  Public Health News  |  Make a Gift
© 2014 Johns Hopkins University. All rights reserved.

-