To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo
Issue #7 | March 2014

Greetings from SciMON!

Here are the exciting events and deadlines for March and April, 2014.

Upcoming Events

Hunter's Undergraduate Research Conference (UGRC)
March 5-6
| 8:30am-6:30pm, HW Lobby & 3rd Floor

The 2nd annual Undergraduate Research Conference at Hunter College is next week - March 5-6! The conference provides a forum for Hunter undergraduates from all disciplines and departments to present their research or scholarship. The conference will also include sessions about pursuing research opportunities at Hunter and beyond and an awards ceremony that will honor the best student posters and presentations as well as faculty excellence in mentoring undergraduates in research and scholarship. All students who register in advance will receive a raffle ticket to win a $25 gift card! Students can also be entered into a raffle for a chance to win a $25 gift card for every individual session they attend at the conference. The more sessions you attend, the more chances you have to win 1 of 20 gift cards.

Lunch: Preparing for and Thriving in Graduate School (UGRC event)
March 5
| 12pm-1:30pm, HW 3rd Floor Cafeteria (Green Room)

A panel of graduate students or recent graduates from various disciplines and fields will give advice and talk about their experiences. Their tips and stories will provide ideas about what to do now as an undergraduate student to best prepare for graduate school and how to choose and make the most of the graduate experience. Students will have the opportunity to socialize and meet with the graduate students in groups over lunch.

Keynote Speaker, Gregory A. Petsko, D.Phil.: “What I Learned From Doing and Directing Undergraduate Research, or The Klutz Strikes Back” (UGRC event)
March 5
| 4:15pm-5:15pm (Talk), 5:15pm-6:30pm (Reception), HW 8th Floor Faculty Dining Room

"When I was a college student, doing undergraduate research—which I originally did simply for the money—changed my life. I’d like to share that story with you, and then tell you a couple of other stories about other undergraduate research that changed my life. But in this case, it was other people’s research that changed my life, because the undergraduates were working in my lab doing the sort of thing I did decades earlier. These stories have a couple of useful morals and are the best kind of stories, because they all end happily."

Tips from Faculty: Professionalism and Self-Presentation (UGRC event)
March 6 | 10:30-11:30am, HW 3rd Floor Cafeteria (Green Room)

A moderated panel of Hunter College faculty from across the disciplines will provide tips about how to get involved in research (e.g., how to approach faculty, how to find a mentor), etiquette as a student and evolving professional (e.g., requesting letters of recommendation), and how to communicate with faculty outside of the classroom (e.g., email communication).

Career Lunch: What You Can Do with a Science Degree (UGRC event)
March 6 | 12pm-1:30pm, HW 3rd Floor Cafeteria (Green Room)

During lunch, professionals working in different career fields will give short introductions and discuss their undergraduate-to-career trajectories and experiences in their current professional positions with students in groups. This session will allow students the opportunity to explore and ask questions about the plethora of professional opportunities and options available to them when they graduate with a background in undergraduate research related to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields.

How to Read a Research Article
March 26 | 1pm-2:30pm, Charlotte Frank Room HE 1203

What is the best way to read a research article to get what you need out of it?  Dr. Mark Hauber will lead an interactive workshop in which he demonstrates the steps of picking out relevant information, making annotations that will be useful when you write papers, and how to think critically as you digest research.

Tackling the GRE
April 2| 1pm-2:30pm, HE 1203 (Charlotte Frank Room)

Work through practice GRE problems with a Kaplan GRE Instructor, and learn strategies to conquer the GRE!  This workshop will give participants an opportunity to get an overview of the exam and what challenges to expect once you start studying.   The workshop will showcase sample questions so you can see what skills the GRE is looking to test.

Upcoming Deadlines
(Back to Top)

Minority Biomedical Research Support – Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (MBRS-RISE)
Application Deadline: March 7
Eligibility Requirements: Click here

The MBRS-RISE program offers research experience and academic and financial support for undergraduate and graduate students interested in biomedical research and eventually obtaining a PhD. Students participate in a Hunter Faculty member’s research lab, and receive financial support and a tuition waiver. Students also receive support to present their work at a scientific conference, and participate in other professional development activities.

HOW TO APPLY
1. Obtain one letter of recommendation from a professor
2. Obtain a copy of your official or unofficial transcript
3. Write a personal statement
4. Apply here

McNair Scholars Program
Application Deadline: January 31 DEADLINE EXTENDED to March 28
Eligibility Requirements: Click here

The Ronald E. McNair program prepares eligible undergraduates for doctoral studies through involvement in research and scholarly activity. Participants acquire the skills and knowledge required for admission to graduate school and the successful completion of graduate studies.

HOW TO APPLY
1. Obtain the contact information for 2 references, and fill out cover sheet here
2. Obtain documentation of financial need
3. Obtain your Student Aid Report (SAR)
4. Obtain a writing sample
5. Write an application essay
6. Apply here

Minority Access to Research Centers (MARC)
Application Deadline: March 31
Eligibility Requirements: Click here

The MARC program trains talented students in biomedical research and encourages them to pursue PhDs in this field. Students are offered a short introductory course in biomedical research, the opportunity to participate in faculty research, and the opportunity to present at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students.

HOW TO APPLY
1. Obtain the contact information for 2 references, and fill out cover sheet here
2. Obtain a copy of your unofficial transcript
3. Write two application essays
4. Apply here

Other Exciting News
(Back to Top)

Summer 2014 Research Opportunities

There are thousands of research internships and opportunities available to undergraduates in a diversity of subject areas at universities, research centers, and institutions across the nation and around the world. Many of the deadlines for application to these opportunities began in December and continue through the spring.  SciMON’s Research Opportunities Database (including a link to the National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates database) allows you to view these opportunities by area of interest. Many offer room, board, stipends, and cover the costs of your travel expenses to get there. So plan something exciting for your summer—start browsing for the right research experience for you today!

Ask SciMON, SciMON Says

Do you have questions about how to get involved in research? Are you looking for ways to prepare yourself to succeed as an undergraduate, graduate student, and beyond? Ever wondered what kinds of STEM careers are out there for you? SciMON is here to help! Browse our database of questions, answers, and documents here, or submit your own questions to the SciMON team of experts, and receive a personalized response.

(Back to Top)

In this bulletin:

Hunter's Undergraduate Research Conference

Lunch: Preparing for Grad School (UGRC event)

Keynote Speaker, Gregory A. Petsko, D.Phil. (UGRC event)

Tips from Faculty: Professionalism and Self-Presentation (UGRC event)

Career Lunch: What You Can Do with a Science Degree (UGRC event)

How to Read a Research Article

Tackling the GRE

MBRS-RISE Program: Deadline
Mar 7

McNair Scholars Program: EXTENDED Deadline Mar 28

Minority Access to Research Centers (MARC) Program: Deadline Mar 31

Summer 2014 Research Opportunities

Ask SciMON, SciMON Says

Questions? Ask SciMON and see what SciMON Says:

Ask SciMON

Check out our Research Opportunities Database:

ROPs Database

Subscription information

Contact Details

SciMON