From the NDEP listserv.  (NDEP is an AND DPG.)

-----------
Arlene Spark, EdD, RD, FADA, FACN
Professor and MPH & DPH Advisor
CUNY School of Public Health
Hunter College and the CUNY Graduate Center

Begin forwarded message:

Mail
NDEP: Daily Digest
View Community

Discussions
I am requesting feedback concerning the value of the learning the Exchange Diet. The current mainstay of diabetes MNT is CHO counting. As an educator as well as a currently practicing RD, my wt mgmt clients do not like using the Exchange Diet. Personally, I use the Exchange Diet to quickly estimate kcal and macronutrients when I don't have time to enter data. I am revising the content of one of my current college courses because I need to add very relevant assessment information that I want to cover in greater depth. That means I need to reduce/eliminate content somewhere else. As educators and preceptors, do you want students/interns to be competent with the Exchange Diet. Thank you for your input!

Linda Yarrow, PhD, RD/LD, CDE
Asst Professor, Kansas State Univ
Clinical RD, Clay Co Medical Center

Linda Yarrow

I am posting this for a colleague. If you have a student or intern who is interested in pediatric nutrition, this is really the opportunity of a lifetime. Camp Korey is an amazing place in a beautiful setting. My daughter attended mito week camp for the last three  years and will be there again this year (you might even see her in the video!). Take a minute and tour their website at the link below.

Pam Charney, PhD, RD, CHTS-CP

Hello prospective applicants,

Camp Korey, a special needs camp, is currently recruiting student volunteers to assist with the management of complex diets for children with mitochondrial disorders. Children from all over the country attend camp each summer making it a special place for these kids. Mito Camp is scheduled to occur three weeks during the month of July. As the primary dietitian, I’m unable to attend each week which is why student support is crucial. I will, however, serve as your support person on the day of registration and remotely throughout the week. Camp requires a lot of work and dedication from the students but can also be a life changing experience. You’ll love every minute of it!

A little about Camp Korey…
Please visit http://campkorey.org/camper-programs/summer-camp for more information about summer camps at Camp Korey. The video is a great representation of what happens at camp. It’s a pretty special place!

Timeline…
Volunteer application deadline 6/15/14.
Volunteers will be assigned to campers having special diets by the end of June.
Week 1: June 29-July 4
Week 2: July 6-11
Week 3: July 20-25
Volunteer check-in will occur at noon on the first day of staff orientation (Sunday). Campers arrive on Monday.
Volunteer check-out will occur around 1pm on the last day of camp (Friday).

 Housing…
You will have your own private room within a lodge where the campers also stay. It’s quite fun at night listening to the campers chat about their day. There is no charge for housing.

 Salary…
Unfortunately, Camp Korey relies on volunteers to make the camps happen. Therefore, you will not be provided with a stipend. Travel expenses will also not be reimbursed.

 Meals…
You will eat with the campers and staff during each mealtime. There is no charge for meals.

 What will be expected of you…
  1. Once the camper applications have been received and campers are assigned to one of three weeks this summer, I will review the nutrition comments shared by parents within the application.
  2. I will then be in contact with parents as I have built a rapport with returning families and will clarify dietary needs and restrictions.
  3. You will then be assigned campers identified to have special diets prior to your assigned week so that you can familiarize yourself with their menus. Up to 15 mitochondrial disorders campers are expected to attend each week. Not all campers will require your attention. In total, there can be up to 50 campers each week as a variety of medical diagnoses are in attendance.
  4. You will meet parents of the special diet kids face to face when they first arrive at camp to clarify any last minute changes. You will also want to touch base with parents as many kids require special formulas that you will be responsible for preparing daily. I will be present during this time to provide additional assistance.
  5. You will then be required to remain on campus from sunrise to sunset as breakfast is typically prepared around 7am and evening activities occurring around 8pm.
  6. You will remain available throughout the day to assist the chef, kitchen staff, medical staff and counselors when special diet related questions arise. To summarize, you will be considered the “food police”. I will be available at all times via phone and/or pager if questions you are unable to answer arise.
  7. The days are typically fast paced as meals and activities tend to flow into one another. It’s almost a guarantee that you will be exhausted by the end of the week.
  8. .Meal planning can be tricky as the chef can change the meals in the midst of preparation. You will be responsible for adjusting the meal to ensure that the diet restrictions are met.
  9. Campers will often refuse to eat the meals prepared which again will require reworking the menu for that meal. Having spoken with parents prior to camp and determining “back up” meals are incredibly helpful when this occurs.
  10. Counselors will often have questions about food restrictions, food allergies in particular, throughout the day. Carrying a cell phone works well as this allows the staff to communicate with you easily as the campus is quite large.
  11. In between mealtimes you are more than welcome to relax, enjoy the sunshine, explore the campus, and/or observe the campers at play.
Mito Week requires a significant amount of prep work and attention throughout the day during camp. The experience, however, is quite moving emotionally as the campers seem to forget they have life-threatening disorders and are able to just be kids. They laugh, dance, play sports, have food fights, ride horses and many more unbelievable activities that they would likely never have an opportunity to do outside of camp. Tears are often shed when campers leave at the end of the week as they have developed everlasting friendships with kids that share the same difficulties in life due to their disorders. You’ll be glad that you applied!

If after reading this synopsis you are interested in applying, please contact me at [log in to unmask] and feel free to ask any questions related to camp itself and/or the responsibilities related to nutrition.

Aaron

Aaron Owens, MS, RD, CD
Clinical Pediatric Dietitian ¦Ketogenic Diet and Lipid Clinic
Seattle Children’s
206-987-2691 OFFICE
206-987-5087 FAX
OFFICE: 4800 Sand Point Way NE - Seattle, WA 98105
MAIL: M/S OA.5.210  PO Box 5371 - Seattle, WA 98145
WEB: seattlechildrens.org
Pamela Charney
Good morning,
I was wondering if anyone was offering an online Food System's management course this summer or this Fall?
We have a senior that did not pass her class and will need to complete this in order to graduate.
I am looking for a course that would be similar to ours:
FSM 134
Cost Analysis in Food Systems Management
Advanced concepts of planning, analyzing, decision making and reporting procedures unique to food systems management. Cost analysis and control, computer applications and purchasing food service. (3 units)
Please send to
Lisa Herzig, PhD, RDN, CDE
Thank you.

Lisa Herzig

Does anyone have a module or other education tool to teach step-by-step the process to prepare a budget for a healthcare setting you would be willing to share?
thanks,
Rita Haliena

Rita Haliena

Message Board