Social Media and Communications Fall Internship

The Reproductive Health Access Project (RHAP) is a small, but growing national nonprofit organization based in New York City. Our organization seeks to ensure that everyone can readily obtain birth control, abortion, and miscarriage care from their own primary care clinician. Through training, advocacy and mentoring programs, RHAP helps family physicians and other clinicians make reproductive health care a part of routine medical care.

We are looking for a highly motivated, organized and detail-orientated individual to join our staff. RHAP expects to continue its growth in the coming years, and the Communications Intern will be an integral part of sustaining this growth. This is a unique opportunity to make a significant contribution to an exciting organization.

About the Reproductive Health Access Project:

The Reproductive Health Access Project works with health care providers to ensure that all women and teens have access to all their reproductive health care options. RHAP provides training, mentoring and technical assistance to primary care clinicians across the country in patient-centered abortion, contraception and miscarriage care. We typically work with clinicians working in underserved communities. Our training programs give clinicians the skills they need to provide high quality reproductive health care and we model a non-judgmental, women-centered approach to providing health care. Our leadership development and advocacy programs help create a new generation of reproductive health leaders who are effective advocates in their local communities. Our technical assistance and mentoring programs ensure that the reproductive health skills we teach are successfully integrated into clinical settings.

We believe that this combination of training, advocacy and support can change the culture of primary care in our country and expand access to needed reproductive healthcare.

Internship Responsibilities:

Supporting the work of a small but busy organization, the Communications Intern will play a key role in ensuring that the Reproductive Health Access Project meets its fundraising and program goals. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, self-starter to help develop and implement a communications strategy.

The Communications Intern will work with the Executive Director and Program Associate to develop and implement innovative online campaigns to support RHAP’s initiatives. In particular, the intern will have the opportunity to put ideas into action - educating the broader community on reproductive health access issues, and increasing the visibility of the organization.

Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:

•Innovating new methods of member support and engagement through managing social media, blog and e-newsletters

•Evaluating the current RHAP website through metrics, as well as developing methods for making it more effective, accessible, and useful

•Helping to integrate online tools and modules for fundraising, advocacy, and education, including CMS, CRM, e-mail, congressional contact and donations processing systems

•Developing and maintaining campaign websites; including dynamic coding and design

•Help develop a media contact list, including reaching out to online opinion-makers such as bloggers and podcasters

Requirements:

•College student preferred

•A keen interest in translating online participation into real-world action

•Independent, responsible, and innovative ideas

•Some experience in online organizing through social networking is highly desirable

•Ability to work independently

•Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage a variety of projects and priorities in an effective manner

•Strong writing skills and command of the English language

•General comfort with online work and online exploration

•Creativity in design and accessible user interfaces

•Experience using WordPress, Dreamweaver, Google Adwords, Google Analytics a plus

•Commitment to RHAP’s mission

This is an unpaid part-time internship.  The schedule is flexible and you will have the opportunity to work remotely. The position requires a commitment of 5-10 hours per week. The fall internship will take place from September 2 to December 19, 2014.

Application instructions:

Send cover letter and resume to [log in to unmask]. Indicate “Communications Intern” in the subject line. No phone or fax inquiries – we will respond if we require further information. RHAP is an equal opportunity employer.

Stephanie Blaufarb  Program & Administrative Associate  Reproductive Health Access Project

PO Box 21191 New York NY 10025 t 212-206-5229 f 314-584-3260

reproductiveaccess.org |   facebook.com/reproductiveaccess twitter.com/RHAP1