Dear Folks:

On September 23, the UN Climate Summit 2014<http://www.un.org/climatechange/summit/> will meet at the United Nations here in New York City. The Summit provides a unique opportunity for world leaders to champion an ambitious vision, anchored in action that will enable a meaningful global agreement on reducing climate change in 2015.  This Sunday, September 21, as many of you know, the People's Climate March<http://peoplesclimate.org/march/> provides an opportunity for all of us to send a message to world leaders that we expect, support...demand action on this serious threat to the world's future.

I write to you as a public health professional, researcher, teacher and advocate to urge you to participate in this event in any way you can.  I respect the fact that there are different opinions on whether and how public health researchers should enter the advocacy arena.  What has inspired me to work in public health all these years are the role models of great public health leaders like Rudolph Virchow<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1698150/pdf/0962104.pdf>,   Edwin Chadwick<http://www.victorianweb.org/history/chadwick2.html> and Alice Hamilton<http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/awards/hamilton/HamHist.html>, who showed that scientists can play a role in translating the evidence they produce into action.

Details of Sunday's march and where you can join the health, food or other contingents can be found here<http://convergeforclimate.org/>. For those who more information documenting the effects of human-induced climate change on health, food security and the environment, see the recent Lancet summary<http://download.thelancet.com/flatcontentassets/pdfs/S0140673614605766.pdf> on climate change and health and Chapter 7<http://ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/images/uploads/WGIIAR5-Chap7_FGDall.pdf> on food security and Chapter 11<http://ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/images/uploads/WGIIAR5-Chap11_FGDall.pdf> on Human Health from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2014.

I hope to see some of you on Sunday.

For a healthier planet,

Nick

Nicholas Freudenberg,DrPH
Distinguished Professor of Public Health
City University of New York School of Public Health and Hunter College
2180 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10035
Telephone 212-396-7738