Collect and Analyze Data for a Wellness Program to Improve Long-Term Outcomes

Wellness Foundation (wfeh.org) is a nonprofit organization based on the East End of Long Island, NY.  Wellness Foundation advocates for a whole, natural, plant-food diet, regular exercise, and stress management for optimal health. Our adult program, the Wellness Challenge, has graduated more than 1,000 participants.  We carefully track the success of the 6 week program with blood work and surveys. We know that our graduates average a 13% cholesterol drop and 8lb weight loss, as well as multiple positive trends from increased energy to decreased chronic pain.  While our Wellness Challenge has been tracking this information for at least 4 years, we have never followed up with graduates on a long- term basis.

Some graduates have adhered to the principles learned, and others, to varying degrees, have not. We would like to survey past participants to understand: 1) to what extent they have been able to maintain what they learned, 2) how/if it has benefited their health and 3) what we can do to help graduates stay on track.

Wellness Foundation is looking for a student with an interest in wellness and a background in statistics to conduct the guided telephone and internet survey, tabulate and analyze collected data, and make recommendations for program improvement. The candidate will work closely with senior staff at the Foundation to complete this project.

The final product will be a valuable resource to help us  improve our programs.

Qualifications

·        The ideal candidate would be an undergraduate or graduate student in a health or nutrition related field.

·        The candidate should be organized and be able to manage responses from Wellness Challenge graduates using computer technology.

·        The candidate should have a friendly demeanor to encourage participation in the survey.

·        The candidate should be able to participate in regular meetings with Wellness Foundation staff (either by phone or in person) to report on project progress and troubleshoot problems.

·        The ideal candidate would be able to tabulate results and provide a summary of results in a user-friendly format.

·        In addition, an interested candidate, or one using this for course credit, is invited to make recommendations based on the data to help us improve our programs.

Interested candidates should send a resume to [log in to unmask]

Arlene Spark, EdD, RD, FADA, FACN

Professor

MPH and DPH Advisor

CUNY School of Public Health

Hunter College and The CUNY Graduate Center

2180 Third Avenue (room 609)

The MPH in Public Health Nutrition at Hunter

The DPH at the Graduate Center  NB: nutrition specialization

Subscribe to or unsubscribe from our listserv, NFS-L:
Click here: LISTSERV 16.0 - Subscribe or Unsubscribe to the NFS-L List