Please see below.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cassandra Flechsig <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Subject: nutrition/health students for home-based day cares in Cypress Hills
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Hi Ashley,

It was nice meeting you today and chatting about how we could potentially engage health and nutrition students to support making home based day cares healthier in Cypress Hills / East New York, Brooklyn. We would love for a student to work one-on-one (supported/supervised by me) with at least two home-based day cares in our neighborhood to help them introduce more healthy foods and increase the likelihood the children will eat the foods. Potential topics include:

- Budgeting (canned vs frozen, where to buy). Switching snack time from pre-packaged pretzels to fruit or veggies and hummus is healthier and often cheaper.
- Menu planning (providers sometimes believe the meal reqs are expensive or difficult to achieve, so there's an opportunity to help them plan the menu).
- Preparing healthy foods and which techniques are healthiest (most people knew how to cook but needed help identifying healthy methods)
- Meal time behavior and how to get kids to accept the food (sitting down with the kids, a game before serving a new item, serving new items with familiar foods, serving foods family style)

We are flexible with when this would take place and we are available to begin as soon as the spring 2015 semester. There is no language requirement but Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.

Additional information about Cypress Hills LDC:

We are a large, multi-service community Development organization in East New York/Cypress Hills, Brooklyn, a very high-needs community where residents lack access to sufficient healthy food options. We run a network of community gardens, a farmers market, a CSA, and recently brought on a full-time person to coordinate healthy food activities in the neighborhood, including integrating healthy food programming into our other existing programming such as after school programs, senior centers, home ownership programs, ESL classes, and into our child care center.

Please let me know if you would like any additional information. Interested students can feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks!

Cassandra

Cassandra Flechsig
Community Healthy Food Advocate
Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation
2966 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY 11208
(917) 893-8801 x 215
fax: 718-676-1548

www.cypresshills.org<http://www.cypresshills.org/>