This is the article about animal cruelty I thought Mark Bittman hyperlinked in his NYT editorial that I posted yesterday on NFS-L.  I was wrong.  The animal article appears on p. 1 of today's NYT.

IMHO, this piece will win many journalism and public health awards AND will put the issue of humane treatment of animals on every food advocate's agenda. If this area resonates with you, Google CAFOs and Peter Singer on the treatment of animals. Also, sign up for the Union of Concerned Scientists's email list.

/as

Animal Welfare at Risk in Experiments for Meat Industry

By MICHAEL MOSS

In the past 50 years, meat has gotten less fatty and easier to chew — thanks in part to the U.S. Meat Animal Research Center. But the achievement has come at a steep cost to the lab’s animals.

Or, copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://nyti.ms/1Cv0BLk
To get unlimited access to all New York Times articles, subscribe today. See Subscription Options.
To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add [log in to unmask] to your address book.

Copyright 2015 | The New York Times Company | NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018