Hi,

PSR is hiring a Climate Organizer. This person will help us build our “Climate Health Action Teams,” a new program through which our members learn about renewable energy and energy efficiency – including their benefits to health – and take monthly actions to push their states to choose clean renewables and energy efficiency as the way to reduce carbon emissions under the Clean Power Plan.

We’re looking for an energetic organizer with hands-on experience who can use communication tools (phone, email, skype, webinars…) to engage and motivate our members. Knowledge of climate change, health and/or energy issues is a must. See the attached job announcement for more details.
If you could share this job description with appropriate organizations and potential candidates, I’d much appreciate it. Apologies for cross-posting.
--
Barbara Gottlieb
Director of Environment & Health

1111 14th Street NW, suite 700
Washington, DC 20005

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

[PSR Logo]
Climate Organizer
Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) seeks a Climate Organizer to engage PSR’s health professionals in effective campaigns to fight climate change.
Utilizing the authoritative voices of doctors, nurses, and public health professionals, PSR is changing U.S. policy through education and advocacy. We train and mobilize our members to educate policy-makers and the public that climate change is a health issue threatening us all. Our priority for 2015 is to engage health professionals to help their states slash carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants and replace dirty coal with renewable energy sources and energy efficiency through policy pressure on the Clean Power Plan.
PSR, a non-profit advocacy organization, works to protect human life from the gravest threats to health and survival -- climate change, nuclear weapons, and chemical toxins. We assert our strong medical voice through actions conducted by our national office, individual members, and affiliate chapters across the country. PSR was the co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1985.
Position Description
We’re looking for a results-oriented, highly productive organizer. Responsibilities include:

* Engage PSR members and other health professionals to speak out on climate change, energy and health.
* Help design campaign plans, materials, tactics and metrics.
* Take primary responsibility for campaign execution.
* Coordinate monthly educational and training events that prepare health professionals to engage in our campaigns.
* Strengthen the active participation of PSR chapters in national campaigns, and convert online activists into on-the-ground participants. Organizing is conducted primarily via phone and email.
* Promote PSR's climate work using social media.
* Measure and evaluate outcomes, propose continuing improvements.
The Climate Organizer reports directly to the Director of Environment and Health. This is a mid-level position.
Experience and Skills Required

· At least 3-5 years of successful hands-on organizing for a progressive cause.

· A record of achieving quantified goals and meeting deadlines.

· Demonstrated ability to persuade, to problem-solve, and to respond with creativity.

· Ability to multitask and prioritize work effectively.

· Experience with social media, activist engagement and outcome evaluation.

· Top-notch written and verbal skills.

· Knowledge of climate change, health and/or energy issues required.

· 4-year degree required. Degree in environmental sciences or public health is useful.
Start date: February-March 2015.
This is a full-time position in Washington, DC. Our small, friendly office is metro-accessible. PSR provides a competitive salary and generous vacation and holidays, medical and dental coverage, and other benefits. PSR is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]> with "Climate Organizer" in the subject line. The recruitment process is open until the position is filled. Sorry, but due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.

.