Public Policy and Advocacy Intern - New York, NY

Why Drug Policy Alliance?

The Drug Policy Alliance is the nation's leading organization devoted to ending the war on drugs and advancing drug policies guided by science, compassion, health and human rights. Through innovative campaigns and in partnership with grassroots community organizations, researchers, and service providers, DPA-New York pursues these goals across New York towns and cities as well as in the state capitol.

Why New York?

New York has arguably set the tone for drug policy in the United States in both good and bad ways. With the Rockefeller Drug Laws in 1973, we operationalized the war on drugs, creating mandatory minimums, which have had devastating impact on communities throughout New York State. But New York has also been at the forefront of innovative drug policy. New York was a part of the first wave of sensible marijuana policy, ran some of the first underground syringe exchanges as a result of the AIDS epidemic, and is home to many creative harm reduction and treatment programs.

The DPA New York Policy office is continually changing the face of drug policy in New York. With statewide and local campaigns, there is no shortage of work. Our interns are crucial to our operation. Our current areas of focus include sentencing reform and expanding the use of alternatives to incarceration; cannabis policy reform, including ending mass-arrests for marijuana possession and expanding access to medical marijuana; and promoting harm reduction services programs, including access to sterile syringes and overdose prevention programs. We work with grassroots organizations to build people-centered campaigns, and our office ethos is to address racism directly and work to address the harms of the drug war that are overwhelmingly affecting communities of color.

Why you?

You are energetic, self-motivated individual who has strong research, relationship-building, and problem solving skills. You are a team player and very funny.

Do you know a lot about drug policy? You should APPLY

Do you know nothing about drug policy? You should APPLY and have an open mind

Candidates must demonstrate interest in ending mass incarceration, addressing racial disparities in the criminal system, protecting civil liberties, and/or reducing harm associated with drug use and our policy responses to drugs.

Application Procedures:

Spring 2015 Internship Program: January – June 2015

  • Application deadline: November 7, 2014

Summer 2015 Internship Program: June – August 2015

  • Application deadline: February 14, 2015

Fall 2015 Internship Program: September – December 2015

  • Application Deadline: August 10, 2015

Please send a cover letter, résumé and a brief (2-4 page) writing sample to [log in to unmask]. No calls, please.

The Drug Policy Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring those who have been adversely affected by the war on drugs.

Note: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.