We are a small organization with a staff that is passionate about the work we

do and love being part of the local food movement in NYC. The Local Roots NYC

team is fun yet driven and we love to think outside the box. We value the work

of all our team members and have a deep love and appreciation for all our

farmers and small batch food producers. Our internship program provides a

hands on experience with an alternative food hub and many of our interns have

been hired or have gone off to work with great food organizations and urban

farms.

About Local Roots NYC

Local Roots NYC strengthens the city’s connection with local food by creating

a culture of community, accessibility and innovation. Through their

alternative Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, Local Roots NYC

provides over 450 NYC residents with local, sustainably grown food and

specialty items from small Brooklyn producers. Their CSA in the Classroom

program brings lessons about the local food system to NYC youth. Local Roots

NYC also hosts locally sourced Supper Clubs.

LocalRootsNYC.org

CSA DISTRIBUTION INTERN:

The Distribution Intern will assist in the management of a CSA site as well as

conduct outreach for members before the season begins. They must be able to

convey the passion behind Local Roots NYC as well as tell the stories of our

farmers to our CSA members. Our interns are an integral part of our

organization and are included in the decision making at Local Roots NYC. They

are compensated with hands on experience, an opportunity to network with other

food related businesses and organizations, and will be given produce from the

CSA. Interns have either been hired or gone off to work at great food

organizations or urban farms.

Responsibilities

- Set up and break down of a CSA site

- Assist CSA members in picking up shares and using the scale

- Learn about CSA shares and the farms we work with to convey information to

members – Inspire our members with creative cooking and recipe ideas

- Help build partnerships with other community organizations and small

businesses

- Conduct outreach for new CSA members

- Facilitate cooking demonstrations or other homesteading techniques

(optional)

Qualifications

- Passionate about the local food system

- Interested in alternative food distribution systems

- Extremely organized and pays close attention to detail

- Outgoing, friendly personality and an enthusiasm to learn

- Excellent customer service and communication skills, must be well-spoken

- Ability to problem solve on the spot

- Creative and Self-Driven

- A love for cooking at home, familiar with seasonality of produce in NYC

- Active in social media and taking photos of food a plus

- Experience conducting cooking demonstrations a plus

Time Commitment

A minimum of 5 hours per week is required for this internship. The CSA season

runs from June – mid August and outreach for CSA members begins in April.

Though we prefer a candidate that can help with outreach, this is not

required.  To apply, send a brief cover letter and resume to

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by April 10th.

SOCIAL MEDIA + BLOGGING INTERN:

Our social media and blogging intern will help to tell the stories of our

farmers and other food producers as well as engage our community through

social media. They will enhance our web presence and assist in the management

of a CSA site. Our interns are an integral part of our organization and are

included in the decision making at Local Roots NYC. They are compensated with

hands on experience, an opportunity to network with other food related

businesses and organizations, and will be given produce from the CSA. Interns

have either been hired or gone off to work at great food organizations or

urban farms.

Responsibilities:

- Strengthen and develop relationships between Local Roots NYC and our

community through web based efforts by helping to tell the stories of our

farmers and other food partners.

- Candidate will keep our community up to date with Local Roots NYC news as

well as other food-related issues and events

- Develop our blog, facebook, pinterest, and twitter

- Manage or assist in the management of a CSA distribution site

- Assist in CSA member outreach

Qualifications:

- Past experience with or has a great passion for the local food system and

sustainable living. Puts their passion to practice with their own life

- Cooks at home, familiar with seasonality of produce in NYC

- Has an online presence

- Social, fun, and creative personality

- Strong attention to detail

- Strong organizational and time management skills

- Experience with food photography

- Past writing and experience with all platforms of social media

- Proofreading skills a plus

- Experience with Adobe Suite, WordPress, and/or Mailchimp a plus

Time Requirement: This position would begin ASAP and requires 5-7hrs per week

from now until August. To apply, send a brief cover letter and resume to

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by April 10th.

MARKETING + EVENTS INTERN:

Local Roots NYC seeks a creative team member to engage our community and

improve brand visibility to encourage cooking at home and supporting our local

farms through our CSA program. This candidate will help create educational

material, develop relationships with other food organizations, and assist in

planning of community building events such as our supper clubs. Our interns

are an integral part of our organization and are included in the decision

making at Local Roots NYC. They are compensated with hands on experience, an

opportunity to network with other food related businesses and organizations,

and will be given produce from the CSA. Interns have either been hired or gone

off to work at great food organizations or urban farms.

Responsibilities:

- Explore creative ways to tell the stories of our farmers and other food

producers

- Assist in brand development

- Help develop educational material that promotes cooking skills, our farmers’

stories, and the CSA

- Improve table display for events and the CSA

- Brainstorm and implement community building events around the CSA and local

food

- Strengthen and develop relationships between Local Roots NYC and our

community through partnerships with other small businesses

- Manage or assist in the management of a CSA distribution site

- Assist in CSA member outreach

Qualifications:

- Past experience with or has a great passion for the local food system and

sustainable living. Puts their passion to practice with their own life

- Cooks at home, familiar with seasonality of produce in NYC

- Involvement in the food and beverage industry a plus

- Marketing major or experience in marketing and brand development

- Has had experience creating educational pamphlets and infographics as well

as marketing material

- Experience with event planning

- Social, fun, and creative personality that is design oriented

- Strong attention to detail

- Strong organizational and time management skills

- Knowledge of Adobe Suite preferred