I think they’re on to something!  /as

Subject: - Can Tasty Be Healthy? Kids Think So! -

We’re using social media to try to hold restaurants and grocers accountable and ensure they offer healthy food and snack options for kids. Here are three stories that support efforts to improve nutrition in restaurants and supermarkets:

1)      Healthy default food options at fast food and other casual dining restaurants are proving to be the true “value meals”! A new study shows kids like healthy default meal options and that healthy food can be good for business.

2)      A second study shows moms want healthier side dishes to come with restaurant kids’ meals automatically.

3)      Tell Hershey’s chocolate to stop cutting the line! Marketing tactics at grocery stores and other retail outlets spur sales of chocolate and other junk food.

Please help us get the word out by sharing the model social media posts about these stories/studies with your networks. And, please let us know so that we can favorite your posts or retweet.

Healthy Default Articles:

Twitter

Cha-Ching -- Healthy default menu options on the kids menu are not only good for kids but also good for business! @WeRRestaurants

Moms and Dads, study confirms kids will eat & enjoy the healthy default options at their favorite #restaurant.

Kids say, “Yummy, Yum.” Menu options with healthy defaults are a winning combination for parents, kids and restaurants

New study shows fresh fruits, veggies and other healthy default sides on kid menus are good for kids & business. http://goo.gl/KIVVo2

How do fast food chains get kids in the door? “It’s the toy they love and not the food.” http://goo.gl/gtCVI6

 Fast Food Line Twitter

Little Girl with Cheeseburger Twitter

Moms like it when healthy sides come with kids’ meals b/c it means fewer fights with kids. http://goo.gl/gtCVI6

When parents are busy, having healthy side dishes as defaults w/ restaurant kids’ meals makes ordering easier. http://goo.gl/gtCVI6

Eating out is no longer only for special occasions. Restaurant kids’ meals should be healthier. http://action.cspinet.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1927&ea.campaign.id=34404

Facebook

New study provides good news for parents and restaurant owners. When restaurants offer healthier options on their kids menu, kids eat better (more fruit & vegetable sides & fewer fries and soda) & revenue increased for the restaurant. Time for all restaurants to clean up the kids menu.  To view the full study, click here

A new study asked moms what they think of fast-food kids meals: http://goo.gl/gtCVI6 Moms like it when healthier side dishes—like apples instead of French fries—come with the kids’ meals automatically. It makes it easier for them and other parents to make better choices for their children and reduces arguments with kids. Often when parents go to fast-food restaurants, it’s when they’re busy and stressed. Healthier defaults mean that even if we’re distracted or stressed, we can do right by our kids. Share this post if you agree that restaurants should do more to improve kids’ meals—to support both parents and kids.

Hershey’s Article

Twitter

People want to buy less candy, but this company isn’t content to let them cut back. http://wapo.st/1KQmJTE

Join CSPI’s action network if you want #healthycheckout options instead of this. http://cspinet.org/actnow

Check out this company’s plan to manipulate more people into chocolaty impulse buys. http://wapo.st/1KQmJTE

.@HersheysKisses, let us make our own decisions about what to buy & eat. Stop trying to manipulate us to buy more. http://wapo.st/1KQmJTE

Good news for Americans’ waistlines: self-checkout and online grocery shopping is eating into candy sales. http://wapo.st/1KQmJTE

Facebook

What’s good news for Americans’ waistlines has one candy company scrambling. As more people avoid candy-laden checkout aisles by opting for a self-checkout kiosk or curbside pickup, Hershey is doubling down on efforts to get you to buy more chocolate. From machines that spit out chocolate bars on demand to research into the “Eight Human Truths of Impulse,” the big chocolate company is working up ways to foist more calories onto customers. http://wapo.st/1KQmJTE

CSPI is working to protect customers’ freedom to make their own choices, free of unwanted impulse marketing and manipulation. Candy should stay in the candy aisle, where people can choose to buy it if they want to. To support healthy food choices, please invite your friends to like us on Facebook and join our action network: http://cspinet.org/actnow.

Best,

------

Tony Ellis

Nutrition Policy Associate

Center for Science in the Public Interest

1220 L Street NW, Suite 300

Washington DC 20005

Tel: 202 777 8329

Fax: 202 265 4954