From: The New York Academy of Sciences [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 10:41 PM
To: Arlene Spark
Subject: Academy eNews: Health Goes Mobile; Become a Mentor; & More

Health Goes Mobile

It's not hard to find an example of technology being used for better health: just look around and you're likely to see someone wearing a bracelet that tracks everything from steps taken to calories consumed. So how can this movement toward mobile health be harnessed by the research community? Find out September 30 - October 1 at Mobile Health: The Power of Wearables, Sensors, and Apps to Transform Clinical Trials. Continuous health monitoring using wearable sensors, mobile devices, and apps is becoming a powerful tool for assessing critical physiological parameters. The vast accumulation of real-time biometric data obtained from these technologies may hold invaluable clues for treating some of the most devastating human diseases.

SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES

  • All Academy Members are invited to attend the Academy's 197th Annual Meeting on September 17 beginning at 6:30pm, followed by a free networking reception. Please join us, and take this opportunity to meet and mingle with fellow Members.

  • Are you a woman who is working in STEM? Consider becoming a mentor in 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures, a new online network aimed at helping to engage teenage girls in STEM. Share your passion for science and technology through a one-on-one mentoring relationship, while also honing your communication skills. Apply now!

  • Submit your poster abstract and travel fellowship application by August 7 for the Tenth Cooley's Anemia Symposium, taking place October 18 - 22, in Chicago.

  • Submit your poster abstract by August 14 for Alzheimer's Disease and Tau: Pathogenic Mechanisms and Therapeutic Approaches. Scheduled for September 18, the symposium will explore tau-centered mechanisms of neurodegeneration and new therapeutic approaches for many devastating neurological disorders.

  • Submit your poster abstract by August 14 for Visualizing Cellular Messengers. This symposium on September 29 will feature state-of-the-art chemical tools and imaging strategies for metal ions; redox signaling species; and metabolites in the cell, cellular delivery and targeting approaches; and examine ways to apply these strategies to the study of life processes.

  • Submit your poster abstract by September 14 for the Phenotypic and Biomarker-Based Drug Discovery symposium,  taking place on October 27. Attendees will deepen their understanding of phenotypic drug discovery and participate in the exchange of ideas between industry-based and academic research scientists.

NEW & NEWSWORTHY

Academy members receive free or discounted access to all our events and publications. If you're not already a member, please visit our website to join.

CAREER DEVELOPMENT

  • Start planning ahead: From Scientist to CSO: Experiencing the Scientific Method as your Guide to Career Success takes place October 27 - December 5 at the Academy.

  • Early-career scientists (MS, PhD, postdoc): apply by September 25 for Journey through Science Day, hosted by the Academy and PepsiCo on December 14 at the Academy's headquarters in New York City. Fifty exceptional students and early career scientists will interact with PepsiCo's R&D leadership, learn about their efforts to develop products rooted in science-based nutrition, get an exclusive glimpse of how science has shaped their careers, and gain an understanding of what it's like to work in a global team environment.

  • Sign up for Granstmanship for Postdocs on November 3 to learn writing skills that are critical to securing funding.

FROM OUR COMMUNITY

Stay connected through social media.

Notice something new in the footer of this email? In order to deliver emails that look better in your inbox and to provide better customer service for our newsletters, we've switched to using Constant Contact to send our emails. We look forward to continuing to deliver great scientific content to you by email through this new system.

Forward this email

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |

.

The New York Academy of Sciences