Calling all NUTR-MPH, NUTR-MS, and NFS-BS students:

We wanted to give you a heads up about our first big club event - the Fall Wellness Fair for the Hunter College community. The Fair is scheduled for Friday, 9/25 from 10:30am - 3:30pm. This day is a Tuesday schedule, so everyone with Tuesday classes will be on campus. Time slots will be 10:30am-1:00pm and 1:00pm - 3:30pm. We will have tables set up on the first floor of Silberman with poster displays and information on different wellness and nutrition related topics. Here are some photos from the fair last year so you can get an idea of what the event will be like.

This is a great way to get involved with the club right off the bat. All you need to do is make either a poster or handout on a topic of your choice (see suggestions below), and show up for your time-slot. You can also provide a food sample to go along with your poster. The nutrition club can cover about $10 for your supplies *as long as you follow our instructions on how to obtain your receipts, listed below.* We are purchasing 3-panel display posters to give out  at our first club meeting on Tuesday, September 8th to those who request them  in advance by AUGUST 26TH through our sign-up sheet.

Here is the the sign-up sheet. If you are interested in participating, fill out the information on the sheet. It's okay if you don't know what you want your topic to be yet. Keep in mind that you can also make a poster as a group of 2 or 3 people.

If you want us to provide you with a 3-panel display poster, please put your name down for that on the sign-up sheet BEFORE August 26th. Posters will be given out at our first club meeting on Tuesday, September 8th.

As some of you may choose to prepare materials for your posters etc. early, please keep the following criteria in mind:

  • Posters and all other materials need to look professional. That means everything on your poster needs to be typed. There can be nothing handwritten on posters.
  • Display materials also need to look professional. We have a budget to purchase some models to use. Take a look on this website and let us know of any requests you may have. Do not purchase on your own - check with us first.
  • We encourage people to provide food samples or handouts at their tables, and the club can cover your costs (about $30 per person, depending on the number of participants) *as long as you follow our instructions on how to obtain your receipts, listed below.*

Instructions for Receipts

1. Use a TAX EXEMPT FORM (attached). When you go to purchase your materials, tell the cashier that you are making a tax exempt purchase and show them the printed out form.

2. Do not combine food items and supplies together in one receipt. Food items counts as refreshments should be on one receipt, all other supplies should be on a separate receipt. If you are buying food and supplies at the same store, please have the cashier do two separate transactions with two separate receipts.

3. Your receipt must be printed (nothing hand written) with the date and time on it.

4. The receipt cannot have a time after the start of the event. So please don't purchase anything after 10:30am of September 25th.

5. You will fill out a form with your name and address so Hunter can send you a reimbursement check. I will give you the form after the fair when I collect your receipts.

6. Anything you buy without a receipt will not be reimbursed so please keep it somewhere safe.

7. Printing will not be reimbursed if you don't have an actual receipt so printing at Silberman will not get you reimbursed.

If you are still deciding what your poster topic will be, here are some suggestions below. Check the sign-up sheet to get a sense of other people are doing. You can work in teams of two or three, so if you are interested in a topic that is already taken, reach out to that person and see if they are interested in working together.

Poster Topic Suggestions

· Food safety tips for on-the-go

· Smoothie how-to

· How to read a nutrition label

· 5-a-day/ eat the rainbow

· Nutrition and various health conditions

·

o   diabetes

o   heart disease

o   cancer

o   etc.

· Special diets

o gluten free

o vegan

o vegetarian

o low-carb

o anti-inflammatory

o Mediterranean

o etc.

· Nutrition myth-busters

· Pre/post workout foods

· Healthy baking tips

· How much sugar is in your drink

· 10-15 minute exercise routines, fitting fitness into your day

· Weight training / circuit training/ other fitness styles

· Juicing vs. Smoothies

· Healthy snack ideas/ how to choose a snack bar

· Healthy fats vs. harmful fats

· Eat this not that/ healthy food swaps

· Fiber

· Calcium

· Vitamin D - functions in the body, best sources

· Omega-3 fatty acids - functions in the body, best sources

· Nutrition Supplements - worth the money?

· Whole grains - different kinds and how to cook with them

· Oil information - which oil to choose for which temperatures and uses

· Fruit and Veg intake tips for kids

· Salt and sodium

· Myplate

· Meatless Monday

· How to meal prep for the week in one day

· Health benefits of herbs and spices, how to cook with them

· Soy

· Caffeine

· Antioxidants and/or polyphenols - benefits and best food sources

· Mindful eating/ how to counter stress eating

· Beans and legumes - benefits and recipe ideas

· Sprouting

· Money-saving tips for healthful eating

· How to choose sustainable fish

· Relaxation techniques and Stress Reduction

· Any other idea you have! You can definitely re-use stuff you've done for previous projects

If you have any other questions about the fair, let us know! We encourage everyone to participate.

All the best,

Nutrition Club Officers