Dear Nutrition Students,
Kindly read through the email chain below. If you think the experience would be valuable to you, please contact Saba Sassouni with a cc to me. Ms. Sassouni can be reached at:
Saba Sassouni, MS, RD, CDN
Nutrition Services Administrator II
Manhattan Psychiatric Center-Office of Mental Health
Wards Island Complex, New York, NY 10035
Phone 646-672-6701 | Fax 646-672-6583 |
www.omh.ny.gov<http://www.omh.ny.gov/>

8/13/2015  We are a small psychiatric hospital located in the borough of Manhattan and in need of a nutrition student/volunteer (NON-internship).  We do not cook on the premises but need assistance with clerical duties and methods of inventory organization.  This would be a great experience for someone reliable who wants to learn a few things before getting into an internship however, there will be limited/no contact with patients resulting in a less clinically focused experience.  A colleague suggested I reach out to Hunter College.  If you know of anyone that may be interested, please let’s discuss.  Saba Sassouni, MS, RD, CDN

8/15/2015    We do not recommend voluntary clerical work for our students. Their time as you can imagine is limited, thus we try to suggest they take part only in meaningful experiences.  If there is a way to turn this into a more clinical opportunity, I'd be happy to post your announcement.  It need not be 100% clinical! but anything less than 50% would not provide enough of a learning experience for our students.  Please let me know what you think.  Best,  Arlene Spark

8/17/2015  We can make the experience more clinical but not too directly involved with patient care…  The clerical work is not typical filing, typing, etc….   It is to keep the clinical paperwork up to date and help the dietitian’s with their paperwork and data entry so although not direct patient care it is somewhat clinically based clerical work.  The students can attend the class sessions with the dietitians as well and even shadow them sometimes on the less risky units. We can also have the student do staff in-services about food safety, etc…..    In terms of foodservice, we need some help with organization of inventory.  We can also add anything else you think is necessary other than spending too much time with patients.  The only other thing to keep in mind is that we are 100% cook/chill and do not cook on the premises so we do everything a typical foodservice operation does except the actual food prep and cooking.  Let me know if we can tailor the experience to make it more meaningful.  Saba Sassouni, MS, RD, CDN

Arlene Spark, EdD, RD, FADA, FACN
Professor and MPH & DPH Advisor
CUNY School of Public Health
Hunter College and the CUNY Graduate Center
< >