Food choices are more than just a matter of personal responsibility.

For those of us working in public health, this may seem obvious. So many factors influence the food decisions we make for ourselves and for our families—including culture, habit, and pervasive food marketing.

But the concept isn’t always obvious to everyone. Opponents of public health policies sometimes exploit the misconception that poor nutrition is a matter of individual failure in order to advance their agenda. That’s why we have been looking for new ways to help people understand that personal responsibility does not tell the whole story about why we eat the way we do.

Here is another twist on that theme: a fresh, contemporary look at why eating in America today is like playing the wildly popular app Candy Crush Saga.

Please share the blog post on social media:

Facebook:

Ever played Candy Crush? Find out why eating in America today is like playing this addicting game: bit.ly/EatingChallenges.

Twitter: (images at bottom)

·         .@CSPI’s @MargoWootan explains why eating in America today is like playing @CandyCrushSaga: bit.ly/EatingChallenges

·         As @CandyCrushSaga draws us into spending time & money, Big Food draws us into eating more calories than we planned: bit.ly/EatingChallenges

·         Ever played @CandyCrushSaga? Find out why eating in America today is like playing this addicting game: bit.ly/EatingChallenges

·         Trying to eat healthfully & watch your weight is a lot like playing @CandyCrushSaga. Read more here: bit.ly/EatingChallenges

·         The food environment often prompts us to eat foods we otherwise wouldn't: bit.ly/EatingChallenges

·         Ever pay to get to the next level of a game? Or regret buying a Cinnabon after smelling it when shopping? bit.ly/EatingChallenges

·         Food advertising urges you to eat more, like video games prompt you to play on: bit.ly/EatingChallenges

·         Though we can (& do) resist temptations, stress, distraction, fatigue make us vulnerable to impulse buying/eating. bit.ly/EatingChallenges

·         Food companies and fast-food restaurants have a right to produce and aggressively market unhealthy foods. But is it right?

·         Marketers study human nature and hijack our biology to get us to buy more food than we want or need. bit.ly/EatingChallenges

Please let us know if you’re able to share with your networks, and what response you receive.

Thank you,

Jessica Almy

Senior Nutrition Policy Counsel

Center for Science in the Public Interest

Direct Line: 202.777.8358