: Hunter Nutrition Club Presentation Recap and First Volunteer Day Sign-up

Hello Dr. Spark,
Today the nutrition club presented to nutrition undergrad and MS students about upcoming club events and ways to get involved. Could you please post this to the listserv so that NURT-MPH students can get this info as well? Thanks!

Best,
Jennifer Furman
Hunter MS Nutrition Candidate
CUNY School of Public Health
Co-President o Nutrition Club 2015-2016

 Hello everyone,

We hope everyone had a great first day of class! We wanted to send out a quick recap of our presentation today so you are all up to speed on our upcoming events and ways to get involved.

**PLEASE NOTE** - The first of our monthly Volunteer Days will be next Saturday, September 12th, from 10am - 1pm. The sign-up sheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ph9Mm57Jav3dG24ua1evX9zb2tbdoK95y_AaiyqWVqY/edit?usp=sharing> is now active and it is first come, first serve - only 20 spots available. Please take a look at the additional information at the bottom of the e-mail.

About the club...

  *   The Nutrition Club is open to students across all nutrition programs (undergrad, MS, MPH) as well as any Hunter student interested in dietetics.
  *   We provide peer mentorship, opportunities to share and discuss current nutrition research and news, and professional development.

Great ways to get involved:

  *   Come to club meetings
     *   Fall Semester: 2nd Tuesday of the month, 12pm in room 212
     *   *First meeting is THIS TUESDAY, September 8th
        *   9am for undergrads - room 215
        *   12pm for MS and MPH students
  *   Participate in the Fall Wellness Fair on Friday, 9/25
     *   It's not too late to sign up to present: Wellness Fair sign-up sheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pJhAnMUScQ1lF9CKWC2HqqY2VrHh1x_QxygValJIGgQ/edit?usp=sharing>
     *   There will be other opportunities to help at the event - more information will be provided at our first club meeting
     *   An e-mail with additional instructions for Wellness Fair participants will be sent out within the next couple days
  *   Attend and/or volunteer to help with club events (apple crunch, lecture series, fitness breaks, cooking classes, volunteer days, etc.)
  *   Lead a Fitness Break
     *   must have experience leading group fitness classes, or trainer certification
     *   1st year fitness breaks: Tuesdays, 2:15pm-2:30pm in room 215
     *   UG and 2nd year fitness breaks: Tuesdays, 3:45pm-4:00pm in room 329
     *   FITNESS BREAK INSTRUCTOR SIGN-UP SHEET<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EQwIWZ76gYHcCWL4H6yJD91tRFGURR3l2U_9JgG0SbQ/edit?usp=sharing>: dates of fall semester fitness breaks - put your name next to the session you would like to lead!
  *   Become a 1st year ,Undergrad, or MPH Liaison - help us get your peers more involved and let us know what your cohort's schedule is like! E-mail us at our club address below if you are interested
  *   Write for the club website: event recaps, recipes of the month, other nutrition related topics
  *   Wear/create some Nutrition Club Swag:
     *   Club Aprons available for $5 : for sale at first club meeting!
     *   Design a logo for the club t-shirt
  *   Suggest and help plan an idea for a club event or outing!

Mark your Calendars - Upcoming Fall Events

  *   First meeting - Tuesday, September 8th, 12pm in room 212

  *   September Volunteer Day, Gardening with Concrete Safaris - Saturday, September 12th, 10am-1pm **more information below**

  *   First Fitness Break:

     *   1st years: Tuesday, September 29th, 2:15-2:30pm room 215
     *   2nd years: Tuesday, September 29th, 3:45-4:00pm room 329
     *   NOTE: Fitness Breaks are WEEKLY after 9/29 start date
  *   Fall Wellness Fair - Friday, September 25th, 10:30am-1:30pm in the main lobby

  *   Apple Crunch - Thursday, October 22nd
     *   Help pick up apples on Wednesday, October 21st
     *   Help wash apples in the Food Science Lab - 10am on Thursday, October 22nd and bring apples for the crunch event at PS7 (elementary school across the street)
     *   Big Apple Crunch in Silberman Lobby, crunch at 3:59pm
     *   Community Give-Away: give extra apples and apple nutrition info to passers-by outside Silberman, 4:15pm-4:45pm
  *   First On-Campus Cooking Class - October/November, date TBA
  *   Topics in Nutrition Lecture Series - October, date TBA

September Volunteer Day Information

Calling all Nutrition students!

Through New York Cares, a non-profit organization that mobilizes thousands of volunteers to make New York City a better place to live, we will be volunteering at Concrete Safaris. We will be gardening!  If interested, please sign up here<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ph9Mm57Jav3dG24ua1evX9zb2tbdoK95y_AaiyqWVqY>.  Please bring a bottle of water, wear something comfortable and dress to get dirty, and shoes must cover both feet.

Project Date and Time:

10am-1pm on Saturday, Sept. 12th

Project Information:

Concrete Safaris is an organization dedicated to empowering children and youth to be healthy leaders through outdoor exercise and education programs that enrich the mind, body, community by creating and maintaining green spaces in East Harlem. During the maintenance sessions, we will prepare raised beds for planting, plant seeds and transplants, spread wood chips, shovel topsoil, and weed.

Address and Travel Information:

Mad Fun Farm

1775 Third Avenue

New York, NY 10029

Take the 6 train to 96th Street. Walk North on Lexington Avenue towards 98th Street. Turn right on 98th Street towards 3rd Avenue. Turn left on 3rd Avenue and arrive at 1775 3rd Avenue between 98th and 99th Streets.

Stay up-to-date and get in touch:

Contact the club: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>Website: hunternutritionclub.org<http://hunternutritionclub.org/> Facebook:
-Hunter Nutrition MS page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175817202431567/

- Hunter Nutrition Club (not re-opened yet...coming soon!)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/278582045497586/

Thank you again and we look forward to a great year together!

All the best,
Your club officers

Co-Presidents: Jennifer Furman and Jenna Zemering
Vice President: Patricia Estrella
Secretary: Paula Macovei
Treasurer: Anna Lin
GSA Rep: Carla Crutcher