New to food design? I was, until Dr. Nevin Cohen told me that --

It’s the application of design to food, ranging from the obvious (communication design (labels) and product design (packaging) to interior design to the more obscure (interaction design — how to influence the interactions people have in restaurants, markets, food delivery services, etc.) to the kind of research Brian Wansink does about the effects of lighting, sound, interiors, tableware, etc. on eating. Also more theoretical work about understanding food making as a design process — choices people make about food preparation, aesthetics, etc. Parsons now has a food design track, and there was just a conference in Milan on the topic. It’s catching on….

See below for an invitation to a 2-day food design conferenceat the New School next month.

Dear friends,

I have succeeded in having the Food Design Conference (November 6 and 7) prices for students lowered. It's now $100 for the two days, which also includes most meals (breakfasts, breaks, two lunches, and light reception).

Please let students know about it. We have presenters from all over the world. I think it would be a great opportunity for them.

The complete program is available at fooddesign2015.com.

If there are students who cannot afford the tickets, we can comp a few (but in that case they would not have the lunches included).

I am also attaching the flyer.

Thank you!

FABIO PARASECOLI
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND DIRECTOR OF FOOD STUDIES INITIATIVES
THE NEW SCHOOL
FOOD STUDIES

66 WEST 12TH STREET, ROOM 903, NEW YORK, NY 10011

T 212.229.5615 x3908

The New School