Official MCAT News from the
Association of American Medical Colleges

Vol 1 Issue 12

Pre-Med
Resources From the Association of American Medical Colleges

Should I take the MCAT early in the year or later? If I choose an MCAT test date, will I have enough time to prepare? What happens if I choose a test date and then decide on test day to void or not show up?

If you've asked yourself one or more of the questions above, you are not alone!

With the release of the 2016 MCAT testing calendar, and registration for the 2016 testing year opening in late October, these questions are top of mind for many students. How do you make a decision?

The most important thing to remember when you are choosing your test date, is to take the exam when YOU are ready, not when you think you should be ready. While we can't say that enough, we do have a few things to keep in mind while making your decision:

  1. Know when you want to apply to medical school. Many examinees consider taking their MCAT exam in the calendar year prior to the year they plan to enter medical school. For example, if you were applying in 2016 for entrance into medical school in 2017, you would take the exam in 2016.
  2. Understand your potential for needing to test more than once. We don't like to think about this either. But if you think you will have to test more than once during a given calendar year, think about making your first attempt early in the year. This allows you time to receive your scores, make a decision on whether or not to retest, and then find an available seat later in the testing year.
  3. Think about your mastery of the content tested. The MCAT exam is course-neutral, meaning that there are no required courses that you need to take to be eligible to take the exam. But if you have coursework to complete that will better prepare you for the exam or you have more studying to do, then think about testing at a later point in the year. You are the best judge of your preparedness!
  4. Remember your limits. In April 2015, the AAMC implemented new testing limits on how many times you can take the exam from year to year and over the course of a lifetime. In a single testing year, you can take the exam up to three times. Over two consecutive testing years, you can take the exam up to four times. In a lifetime, you can take the exam a total of seven times. Be sure to review the testing limits before selecting a test date.
  5. Medical schools see all scores. Each MCAT exam you choose to have scored is reported to medical schools. You are not able to pick which scores to send to schools and how multiple scores are viewed by medical school varies by institution. Note: if you choose to void your exam or do not show up on test day, medical schools do not see any record of those exams. Only you will know! Do remember, voids and no-shows count toward your overall testing limits over the course of the testing year and your lifetime limits.

Remember, selecting a test date is based on what works best for you, not your peers!

Was this email forwarded to you?
If you'd like to subscribe to this list to get these emails directly in the future, please click here and provide your name and email address.

© 2015 AAMC | Privacy Policy
Association of American Medical Colleges, 655 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001