September 30, 2015

Good afternoon,

My name is Sharde Chambers and I am a third year medical student at the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ-SOM) in New Jersey, currently serving as the SNMA Region IX Associate Regional Director for the Minority Association of Pre-Health Students (MAPS). Within our region, which covers medical schools and colleges across New York and New Jersey, we have a wonderful opportunity for pre-medical students to learn more about the medical school process and to interact with medical students and physicians from the area.

This year, the Hofstra University SNMA and MAPS chapters of Region IX will be hosting our annual Regional Conference (RMEC), entitled “Black Lives Matter – Social, Cultural, and Health Equity and Competency.” The purpose of this conference is to provide you, our attendees, with the opportunity to network with other high schools, undergraduate students, medical students, residents, and physicians. This conference will be held on Saturday, November 14th, 2015 from 7:45 am - 6:00 pm at Hofstra North Shore – LIJ School of Medicine in Hempstead, NY.

One of the goals of our conference is to provide our members with exposure to top-ranking programs committed to excellence and diversity in medicine. As such, one of the main events planned is the College, Medical School and Residency Program Fair. This portion of our program will feature many undergraduate and graduate institutions that are dedicated to answering your questions about how to best prepare for the road to medicine. This conference will be filled with numerous opportunities to network, gain great insight into the field of medicine through workshops, and even participate in clinical simulations. Physicians, researchers, medical students, and college officials will teach many workshops with topics such as: how to be a competitive medical school applicant, the new MCAT, osteopathic medicine, skill based activities, clinical research in minority communities, race based trauma and self-care, and thriving as a minority in medicine, to name a few

The SNMA is the nation's oldest and largest student organization focused on the needs of minority medical and premedical students. With a rich history of community service and educational opportunities, the SNMA continues to advocate for improved health care services and education to meet the needs of minority and underserved populations.

 If you and/or pre-medical students are interested in attending this conference, please register via the Eventbrite link: Regional Medical Education Conference. Additionally, please find a copy of this email in letter form and a flyer for the conference. For students in need of financial assistance to attend and/or travel to RMEC, please contact us as soon as possible. We hope to hear from you and your students soon!

Warmest Regards,

Region IX Regional Conference Planning Committee

Antoinette Leonard-Jean Charles, Region IX Regional Director, [log in to unmask]

Elise Mike, Associate Regional Director, [log in to unmask]

Sharde Chambers, ARD MAPS, [log in to unmask]

Shadae K. Beale, Chapter President, Hofstra North Shore – LIJ SOM, [log in to unmask]

Britney Nathan, Chapter President, Hofstra University, [log in to unmask]

Sharde Chambers

Associate Regional Director for Minority Association of Premedical Students (MAPS) Liaisons

Student National Medical Association (SNMA)

Region IX (New York and New Jersey)

Sharde Chambers, OMS-III

Student Council Secretary, Class of 2017

Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine

"Building the Leaders of Tomorrow SNMA"

Join us in Austin, TX for our 2016 Annual Medical Education Conference, March 23-27 2016!