You are invited to apply to Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP), if you are an undergraduate student currently in your sophomore or junior year, with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. You must have a minimum of three months' experience in research.

Alternatively, if you have a GPA of less than 3.5, we may still consider your application if you have more extensive research experience. You should have a passion for research, and a desire to pursue it professionally, possibly through graduate education in biomedical sciences, in a PhD or MD/PhD program. You must also be enrolled in institutions located within the United States.

The Center for Multicultural and Community Affairs<http://icahn.mssm.edu/about-us/diversity/center-for-multicultural-and-community-affairs> works closely with the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences to recruit a diverse applicant pool to the program. We wish you the best of luck and hope to welcome you into our program.

How to Apply to SURP

To apply to our program, you must complete the online application<https://applygs.mssm.edu/security/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f> and submit the following documents:

  *   Your official college transcript
  *   Two letters of recommendation

We strongly recommend that at least one letter of recommendation be from someone who can comment specifically about your research experiences. All applications are due by February 1, 12 midnight, Eastern Standard Time.

At the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, we offer an incredible opportunity for undergraduate students to conduct biomedical research through our Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP).

The Graduate School, and thus our SURP program, evolved within the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS), and are part of the expansive Mount Sinai Health System. As a SURP student, you will find yourself immersed in biomedicine, science, and their research and clinical applications, amidst the vibrancy and diversity of New York City.

Ours is a competitive program attracting some of the most accomplished undergraduate students nationwide; most of whom are planning to pursue a PhD or an MD/PhD path after graduating from a current bachelor's program.

SURP provides intensive research training in a cutting-edge biomedical laboratory, giving you an insider's perspective into academic life. This is a 10-week program that begins in June of every year. Once accepted and enrolled in SURP, you receive free housing and a $3,500 stipend. The stipend is subject to all federal, state, and local taxes.

SURP Fellow Opportunities

As a SURP fellow, you will choose a mentor from among the 200 ISMMS Graduate School faculty, enhancing your technical skills and independence in the lab.

You will acquire valuable experience attending a weekly seminar series to introduce you to research-intensive career options and role models for career pathways. You also will participate in departmental seminars, journal clubs, work-in-progress meetings, and work on a presentation project for SURP Fellows' Research Day.

Additionally, you will have full access to the School's recreation office, networking opportunities with current students, faculty members, and school administration